Hockey Photo-Need Ideas

Say CheeseSay Cheese Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited May 1, 2006 in Sports
The local university asked me to take a photograph for their hockey team media guide cover. They want it to include four of their players standing beside the school logo in the ice. I want to do something more creative than just a standard group photo. I was thinking a backlit shot with their shadows on the ice infront of them. I'm not sure how I would light their faces and the logo though. Does anyone have a good idea for a hockey group shot?

Comments

• jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    How about getting the four of them to skate up to the logo and make a simultaneous hockey stop, which is when you would be shooting. Timing would be tought but it could make an interesting picture.

I agree with you that players standing there is prettey boring. Getting them doing their thing would provide a more interesting picture.

Good luck.

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • Say CheeseSay Cheese Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited April 28, 2006
    Not to complicate my post I said it would be players. It will actually be four of their team advisors in hockey uniforms. I don't think any of them know how to skate. I guess I should have been more specific. I agree an action shot would be even better but isn't possible this time.

I've been looking around on Google Images for some ideas but can't find anything interesting.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    can you get in the rafters, and is the logo painted at mid-ice? get them to lay down on the ice around the logo and shoot from above.
  • wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    I say ladder....looking down at them, sort of like this but on ice:

14591774-M.jpg

Take a better watch on the backgrounds than I did.

Another cool shot is the upwards perspective...make them seem larger than life (it would be with no logo unless you got a banner on the wall somewhere behind them.
    Sort of a combination of this shot:11781017-M.jpg
    (which has a nice upwards perspective)
    and this shot:
    44534739-M.jpg
    (oh and one more cause I just stumbled on the 2nd one...)
    57329282-M.jpg
    but with the stick lower on the ice towards the camera....

So it may require you laying down on the ice and sort of having the guys fake a pass to you.....

Also the skating towards you and the ice shavings would be hot...just make sure you do that last so you get a nice clean logo....

And remeber shooting hockey is fun!
    46401705-M.jpg
    edited April 28, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    can you get in the rafters, and is the logo painted at mid-ice? get them to lay down on the ice around the logo and shoot from above.

Yeah if its guys they dont like to do those kind of shots....
    11781015-M.jpg

Personally I would try to find a banner on the wall, shot on an upwards perspective, like the photo of the basketball coach I shot. It makes it so much more interesting than just a straight on guy standing their post, and shooting down on them with the logo, might make them look silly unless they really want to play it up to the camera, but what do you do with advisors...a tough guy pose and look down on them. At least if you have of you are looking up at them, you can do poses that dont seem silly (even just two by two angling them into the middle, with a banner (school logo) in the background, it could come out very nice.
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited April 28, 2006
    winger wrote:
    Yeah if its guys they dont like to do those kind of shots....
    lol! Taht's not quite what I was thinking of, but similar.
    Something a little more... I dunno... masculine?
    edited April 29, 2006
    StevenV wrote:
    lol! Taht's not quite what I was thinking of, but similar.
    Something a little more... I dunno... masculine?

From doing team photos last season I find girls are so much more willing to do poses than guys.

I had a hard time getting the swim team guys just to cross their legs so it would all be the same.
    The refused and when you look at the photo it draws you insantly to their legs.

Maybe you should just ask to shoot female administrators...that would fix sooo many of your problems :)
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Can't go wrong with the flying 'V' like in the movie Mighty Ducks:D

or put them all in the penalty box. haha.

ok seriously...I think a shot from a ladder looking down onto the ice would looking cool..is there a logo on the ice at the center?
  • Say CheeseSay Cheese Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited May 1, 2006
    Thanks for the suggestions. I'll be sure to take a ladder. I'm not sure about any banners they might have. However, I know they have a penalty box.... good idea. Thanks again.