Options

Shoot-out Attendees, Please Read & Reply! Vegas to Bryce Transportatoin

2»

Comments

• Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Hey Nik, I'm already on the road and in Southern AZ this evening to shoot the saguaro's that are - hopefully - in bloom so I have limited email access. We may need to play the ride back from St George to LV by ear. My g/f will be in LV visiting her folks and depending on what their plans are may affect what I end up doing. So unless reservations for the shuttle are required, we can discuss more as the week progresses and things shake out - who needs a ride where etc.

They have been blooming for at least a week. If you want some good thrasher / bloom shots come up I-10 north from tuscon. To east on 60. Exit on Greenfield go south 2 miles to guadalupe and turn left. About a 1/4 mile on the right is the Riparian Institute. Ton of Suquaro with Gila Woodpeckers and Thashers. That area is in gilbert AZ.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Canyons/Cars Info Update
    I made a few calls to both canyons and received some feedback.
    Situation seems to be a bit better than I initially thought.

Bryce.

While shuttles only operate during certain reasonable hours, the park is open 24x7 and there is no closure on parking spots (which does not mean they can't be full:-).
    They are in between two schedules (winter/summer), so I guess we'll get exact shuttle info when we to the Ruby's. At any rate, with Bryce being fairly small and open, a transportation between points is not gonna be a problem at all - we can use either cars or shuttles, whatever is more convenient.

Zion.

As I mentioned before, Zion itself is normally off-limits for private vehicles.
    Now the good news: since we're staying in the Lodge, we will get special "Red Permits" that will allow us to enter the Zion Scenic Route and drive freely anywhere anytime - at least up to the Lodge (which is about 1/3 into the park). So if our point of interest is before Lodge we're kinda covered (caveat: not many parking spaces along the road anyway).
    Lady I was talking to informed me that NO private vehicle goes further than the lodge. However, she suggested that we talk to the Lodge staff and they maybe can help with the shuttles.
    Shuttles start 6:45 am and last one sweeps the canyon about 10 pm. Sunset there is about 7 pm, so from this point we're covered by shuttles. However, the sunrise is gonna be 7:04 am, so the 6:45 am first shuttle will be a pretty close call. The alternative could be renting some bikes and walk a few miles down the road if we want to get to some specific location beyond the lodge.

In any case it looks like we can sort the whole thing out when we get there.

The only thing is that we need to get to the lodge the first time, while we still don't have the red permits. We will need to call the lodge and they will call back the entry guards to let us in (that is, unless Andy has already received those red permits for each of us:-).

Bottomline.

No worries, everything is either kosher or is gonna be upon arrival. :):

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I made a few calls to both canyons and received some feedback.
    Situation seems to be a bit better than I initially thought.

Bryce.

While shuttles only operate during certain reasonable hours, the park is open 24x7 and there is no closure on parking spots (which does not mean they can't be full:-).
    They are in between two schedules (winter/summer), so I guess we'll get exact shuttle info when we to the Ruby's. At any rate, with Bryce being fairly small and open, a transportation between points is not gonna be a problem at all - we can use either cars or shuttles, whatever is more convenient.

Zion.

As I mentioned before, Zion itself is normally off-limits for private vehicles.
    Now the good news: since we're staying in the Lodge, we will get special "Red Permits" that will allow us to enter the Zion Scenic Route and drive freely anywhere anytime - at least up to the Lodge (which is about 1/3 into the park). So if our point of interest is before Lodge we're kinda covered (caveat: not many parking spaces along the road anyway).
    Lady I was talking to informed me that NO private vehicle goes further than the lodge. However, she suggested that we talk to the Lodge staff and they maybe can help with the shuttles.
    Shuttles start 6:45 am and last one sweeps the canyon about 10 pm. Sunset there is about 7 pm, so from this point we're covered by shuttles. However, the sunrise is gonna be 7:04 am, so the 6:45 am first shuttle will be a pretty close call. The alternative could be renting some bikes and walk a few miles down the road if we want to get to some specific location beyond the lodge.

In any case it looks like we can sort the whole thing out when we get there.

The only thing is that we need to get to the lodge the first time, while we still don't have the red permits. We will need to call the lodge and they will call back the entry guards to let us in (that is, unless Andy has already received those red permits for each of us:-).

Bottomline.

No worries, everything is either kosher or is gonna be upon arrival. :):

HTH

Great NewS!

Yeah, at zion, teh early bird will get the worm - thumb.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Sunrise in a canyon is kinda dark. naughty.gif I suspect that the 6:45am shuttle will be fine for your needs. The buses run extremely often, you won't have to wait long for the next one. They really mean it when they say every seven minutes.

And frankly, the canyon simply isn't that long. Much as I dislike shuttles, the Zion system works extremely well.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Sid,
    wxwax wrote:
    Sunrise in a canyon is kinda dark. naughty.gif I suspect that the 6:45am shuttle will be fine for your needs. The buses run extremely often, you won't have to wait long for the next one. They really mean it when they say every seven minutes.

And frankly, the canyon simply isn't that long. Much as I dislike shuttles, the Zion system works extremely well.

While I totaly agree with everything you've said (darkness, shuttles, etc.), it's only true if you want to shoot the sunrise from the bottom of the canyon. However, if you wanna get to some less trivial point, that hike alone may take a long time - therefore you may need a way earlier start. ne_nau.gif
    Not saying that we have to - just describing my feelings why we may need some freedom of transportation...

Cheers, partner! 1drink.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Are you guys thinking of staying in the park from dawn to dusk? My plan is 3-4 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours at night since southwest light during the day is very harsh. Plus that way its a vacation too :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    "May the hundred flowers bloom" (Comrade Mao)
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Are you guys thinking of staying in the park from dawn to dusk? My plan is 3-4 hours in the morning and 3-4 hours at night since southwest light during the day is very harsh. Plus that way its a vacation too :)

Some will come and spend most of the day in a lounge chair with margarita in one hand and a book in another.
    Others will hike everything in 50 miles radius and ask for more.
    And what's especially cool about this particular mob - either way you'll find partners, and either way no one question your actions... iloveyou.gif

I guess I'll be more on a hiking side, but that just me:-) :):
    But in any case at night we'll end up in the same bar beer.gif
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:

Bob I am thinking the same. Personally I want to shoot alot and have alot of fun on this trip but I need some serious R&R right now.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    See you guys in Vegassssssssssss or Bryceeeeeeeeeee!
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006

Tony DeJoie and Mrs. DeJoie
    Adam Grim and Kendall.
    Matt Updenkelder.

Have these folks hooked up with a ride to Bryce??? I hope so. Call for me at Luxor if you don't.

My van is leaving at 7am Wed morning deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Have these folks hooked up with a ride to Bryce??? I hope so. Call for me at Luxor if you don't.

Where is everyone leaving from? The valey parking area? or where?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Andy, the last time I talked to Adam, he said that he and Kendell were
    going to hit some places in Az. before the shoot-out. I don't know if he
    has his laptop with him. So, I'm going to say, don't worry about these two,
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    edited May 15, 2006
    davev wrote:
    Andy, the last time I talked to Adam, he said that he and Kendell were
    going to hit some places in Az. before the shoot-out. I don't know if he
    has his laptop with him. So, I'm going to say, don't worry about these two,
    Thaanks
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Where is everyone leaving from? The valey parking area? or where?

I believe the group in our minivan are meeting up in the lobby of the Luxor.
    I seriously need to start packing headscratch.gif
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    dragon300zxdragon300zx Registered Users Posts: 2,575 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I believe the group in our minivan are meeting up in the lobby of the Luxor.
    I seriously need to start packing headscratch.gif

Nick thank god I'm not the only one. I just packed everything I think. Well I'm only working a couple hours tomorrow so hopefully I'll have time to pack anything i missed.
    Everyone Has A Photographic Memory. Some Just Do Not Have Film.
    www.zxstudios.com
    http://creativedragonstudios.smugmug.com
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Nick thank god I'm not the only one. I just packed everything I think. Well I'm only working a couple hours tomorrow so hopefully I'll have time to pack anything i missed.

Hopefully I didn't miss anything, my flight takes off in 6 hours. That reminds me, I should go to sleep :snore See ya in Vegas
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    Hopefully I didn't miss anything, my flight takes off in 6 hours. That reminds me, I should go to sleep :snore See ya in Vegas

2 hours until I get my ride to the airport. Camera Backpack weighs a ton :)

Clothes suitcase is almost there. Got the new B&H catalog yesterday and its being packed. Laughing.gif
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 16, 2006
    tonyd wrote:
    Ok, I just noticed this new (new to me) thread and I suppose I need to determine real soon if I can get a ride or should rent a car. I arrive in LV on Tuesday afternoon and will be departing from LV early afternoon on Monday May 22.
    Tony call my room at the Luxor if you still want a ride. If I don't hear from you I'm assuming you got alternate transportation.

I'm leaving at 7am Wed morning for Bryce