Girl Scouts and the 5D

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited April 30, 2006 in People
66797926-M.jpg

My 5D arrived yesterday. I got home just in time to open the box, pop in an already charged battery from my 20D -- and head off to "Encampment 2005". I shot raw, processed in RawShooter.

This is an ISO3200 with no noise reduction applied. If you go to the gallery, I've left on the "original size" option so you can really see the file quality for those interested.

I'm not saying these files represent the best of the 5D -- I haven't even cracked the manual yet. The camera felt very natural for someone already used to the 20D. After photo xxx_248, the rest of the photos are from the 20D. The two feel very natural together around my neck.

66804402-M.jpg

I arrived as the kids had recently arrived. Mostly setting up going on....and we lost the light fairly quick. Didn't get as many of the great photos that I got at encampment last year.

66798755-M.jpg

Lee

Comments

• hollychollyc Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    I absolutely love the second one. That belongs in a Girl Scout brochure. Brings back a lot of great memories! I love the third girl back - carrying all that stuff. Thanks for sharing! :D
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    hollyc wrote:
    I absolutely love the second one. That belongs in a Girl Scout brochure. Brings back a lot of great memories! I love the third girl back - carrying all that stuff.

Glad you connected with the photo. I really like it. Happens to be my middle daughter, btw.

Last year I took an amazing set of photos -- and emailed links to the Girl Scouts association -- never heard back from them. Sad, really.

Lee
  • binghottbinghott Registered Users Posts: 1,075 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    hollyc wrote:
    I absolutely love the second one. That belongs in a Girl Scout brochure. Brings back a lot of great memories! I love the third girl back - carrying all that stuff. Thanks for sharing! :D

15524779-Ti.gif
  • maegandoughertymaegandougherty Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    hollyc wrote:

15524779-Ti.gif #2 makes me wish I had been a Girl Scout.
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif #2 makes me wish I had been a Girl Scout.

All three of my daughters really enjoy scouting.

This is one of my favorite shots from that day.

66811599-M.jpg

Shooting campfire shots is difficult in general, but I thought I had my technique down. Not so with the 5D. I normally shoot IS03200, 1/60, wide open aperture and flahs with negative one or two stops.

It's night, so you don't want your photos lit up like it's day -- but it's too dark for any available light shooting -- so you have to use flash. For some reason the ISO3200 shots just weren't coming out right. I moved the ISO to 800 and started getting better shots. This one being my favorite.

Lee