Soccer and Canon 5D

leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited May 1, 2006 in People
66851250-M.jpg

Well folks told me, but I had to find out for myself. The 5D is not a great sports camera. I had hoped that it's better AF would make a difference, but -- alas -- I've yet to see the "better" in the AF as it compares to the Canon 20D.

I thought the 3fps would not be an issue as I rarely shoot long bursts of photos. But there is a big difference -- even if you are only shooting 2 or three frames -- between 5 and 3 fps.

Gallery

Doesn't make the camera a bad camera, of course -- just not as suited for sports as the 20D. Can't wait to try it out on a wedding. Well, I'll be trying it out on a portrait shoot this afternoon.

66854320-M.jpg

No cropping on this photo -- just to show the vignetting on the Sigma 70-200 at f2.8 -- I'll have to play with ACR's vignetting feature to see how correctable it is. For most of my soccer shots I cropped the photos any way.

66852847-M.jpg

For candid like this -- the vignetting is actually pleasing.

Looks like I'll be sticking with the 20D for the bulk of my sports "action" shooting.

66855273-M.jpg

Lee

Comments

• BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    No. 3 looks like film
    I have to say, I really like the portrait in No. 3. That image has the most "film-like" look to it I've seen from digital. Maybe it's the vignetting on the FF sensor that we've been missing on the crop bodies that gives a feel of film we didn't even know we were used to. Very interesting.

Anyway, nice shot.

Ben
  • HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    BenA2 wrote:
    I have to say, I really like the portrait in No. 3. That image has the most "film-like" look to it I've seen from digital.

You know Ben, I thought the EXACT SAME THING when I saw it!
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net