Options

Elan 7N

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited May 1, 2006 in Cameras
how does it compare to the Digital cameras Canon makes?:dunno i need a film camera that will work with all of my lenses in a couple weeks because photojournalism i have to develop alot of stuff as well as Digital pp. so i need your input. about 250 is my limit and B&H has a used *condition:10* Elan 7N in stock for 229...

thanks,

Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited April 29, 2006
    Looks like a nice camera Daniel..

It just won't match the images from a 10D - not the cameras fault, just the nature of film.. Have fun with your course.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    Looks like a nice camera Daniel..

It just won't match the images from a 10D - not the cameras fault, just the nature of film.. Have fun with your course.

nod.gif but how is the AF and such compared to a 10D?
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Daniel,
    The Elan 7n is a very natural film companion to the 10D/20D/30('most likely') digital slrs.

I have one, and I really enjoy using it-A LOT. I even prefer some aspects of it to my 20D and 1D (full frame anyone?). The operation and function is pure Canon, so you'll have no trouble getting acclimated to using it. I spent an entire day carrying my 7n and two primes (50 f/1.4 and 28 f/1.8) around Philly for a day and had a great time. Nice and light, VERY quiet for street shooting. As far as AF goes, I see no difference between the 7n and the 20D for 'normal' stuff. I haven't used the 7n in AI servo for sports or anything, but I really doubt you'd be disappointed with it. (The 7n's AF system is the same system used in the 10D I believe).

Build quality imo for the price is excellent and handling is great. Nice but not 'great' viewfinder. Brighter than my 20D's though.

For a light weight EOS mount compatible backup to digital it's a no-brainer really.

At this precarious point in time, I'd have a hard time recommending one of the higher end Canon film bodies. The return on them if you decide to sell will be dismal. The Elan on the other hand is a lot of bang-for-the-buck at around $300 (NEW!).

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong picking one of these up at this time.

Good luck and good light,

Mongrel
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    thanks mongrelthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Daniel,

I shot with a Canon Elan IIe when I was shooting film. It is the predecessor to the 7 and was a great non pro camera. I'm sure the 7 will be great for your purpose, but you may want to consider a used II. There is one on the FM Forums for only $65.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/388763/0#3312577

Good Luck,

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • Options
    edited April 29, 2006
    jkelly25 wrote:
    Daniel,

I shot with a Canon Elan IIe when I was shooting film. It is the predecessor to the 7 and was a great non pro camera. I'm sure the 7 will be great for your purpose, but you may want to consider a used II. There is one on the FM Forums for only $65.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/388763/0#3312577

Good Luck,

Joe

which brings me to my next question... whats the difference between the Elan 7Ne and the Elan 7N besides eye control autofocus? and is it that much betterne_nau.gif
    Daniel Bauer

• Options
    jkelly25jkelly25 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
    edited April 29, 2006
    Well, I have the eye control on the elan II and I liked it, although it did not always work perfectly. On my 20d i use the control stick or whatever it's called to pick the focus point and I think I like that better.

I'm not sure of the rest of the differences. You may find something about that here:

http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/elan-7

Joe
    Joe Kelly
    New Jersey
  • Options
    howardhoward Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited April 30, 2006
    Here's the spec http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/2000-/data/2000_eos7.html
    maybe check the price of the EOS3 ?
    http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/1997-/data/1998_eos-3.html
    My film body handles much differently to the ones above but it's good enough for the little use it gets. http://www.canon.com/camera-museum/camera/2000-/data/2002_eos66.html
    but then I only paid US$100 new with a 28-90 lens that I sold for 50 :)
    Good luck in your hunt.
    DanielB wrote:
    how does it compare to the Digital cameras Canon makes?ne_nau.gif i need a film camera that will work with all of my lenses in a couple weeks because photojournalism i have to develop alot of stuff as well as Digital pp. so i need your input. about 250 is my limit and B&H has a used *condition:10* Elan 7N in stock for 229...

thanks,

Daniel
  • Options
    fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    I have a 7e that I used for a few years before my upgrade last November to the 20D. I really like(d) it. I still carry it in the bag as a backup if I need it. To be honest I paid extra for the eye focus thing and I wish I hadn't. I just didn't use it often enough to make it worth the extra cash. I do think you will enjoy the camera though if you choose to buy it.