Options

Digital IR

patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
edited August 7, 2004 in Technique
Anyone tried IR with there digital camera? I found my Kodak Wratten #87 filter today. It is an opaque filter, all you can see would be a faint dark red lightbulb filament. So since I have a digital camera and don't have to run out to process film I gave it a shot. Unfortunately I thought about this after the sun went down, but I did a quick test inside. I am happy to say it looks to work. I cannot see through the filter, but with an exposure of 1.8@30 sec ISO 100 I have a decent exposure. The top photo is color with a day light balance and the bottom was converted to B&W in PS. Now all I need is a sunny day and some nice green leaves (might have to wait a couple months there). The nice thing about digital is the instant feedback, shooting IR film always lead to a lot of bracketing, now it is much easier to get a good exposure quickly. I hope outside it will take on an true IR effect especially with leaves, etc.

2208909-M.jpg

2208910-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    edited January 30, 2004
    Anyone else try IR?

Do you have any tips?

What type of filter did you use?

What subjects work best for you?
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    infrared
    shot yesterday afternoon, on a bright sunny day at the hudson river. i'm experimenting with infrared these days.

2208185-M.jpg
  • Options
    cmr164cmr164 Registered Users Posts: 1,542 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    andy wrote:
    shot yesterday afternoon, on a bright sunny day at the hudson river. i'm experimenting with infrared these days.
    Very nice! I really should pull out the tool kit and remove the built in IR
    filter from my camera. (* filter to block IR)
    Charles Richmond IT & Security Consultant
    Operating System Design, Drivers, Software
    Villa Del Rio II, Talamban, Pit-os, Cebu, Ph
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2004
    With the sun shining and a few clouds in the sky I decided to try the IR filter outside. It works, now to find some more exciting subjects. The trees in the background are dark green pine trees. Spring should be fun this year.

ISO 100 50mm f1.6@2sec with #87 filter.

2215097-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2004
    for reference I am posting a regular color version and the standard B&W counterpart.

2215230-M.jpg

2215231-M.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    Check out Patch29's thread on IR.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2004
    2 threads. Maybe move the other one to here?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2004
    Why not merge them?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2004
    nod.gif I agree. I suggested it in the other thread.
    Sid.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2004
    wxwax wrote:
    nod.gif I agree. I suggested it in the other thread.
    done. do i have to do all the heavy lifting around here? 1drink.gif
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 1, 2004
    I only have superpowers on my little planet.
    Sid.
  • Options
    zero-zerozero-zero Registered Users Posts: 147 Major grins
    edited February 2, 2004
    patch29 wrote:
    Anyone tried IR with there digital camera?

Patch, try to get a hold of the jan/feb 2004 issue of Outdoor Photographer (the one with the "water techniques" cover). There's a piece on the issue and it even mentions a guy that does filter removal on Canons. Worth a peek.
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    Here is another test I did today. The new filter holder helped a lot. Now all I need is a more exciting subject.

2272333-M.jpg

Canon EOS 1Ds
    ISO 100
    24-70mm @ 40mm
    f/8.0
    130 seconds

Filter Kodak Wratten #87
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2004
    zero-zero wrote:
    Patch, try to get a hold of the jan/feb 2004 issue of Outdoor Photographer (the one with the "water techniques" cover). There's a piece on the issue and it even mentions a guy that does filter removal on Canons. Worth a peek.

Thanks for the tip. I read the article. That would really do the trick, but it is not reversible so not very useful for me. Now if you could find an old D-60 body for cheap it might be worth it.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited February 10, 2004
    again, we canon guys should read his website regardless:

http://www.bythom.com/infrared.htm
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited August 7, 2004
    I'd like to try infrared photography without buying expensive gear. There's a thread on dpreview that talks about an inexpensive Lee 87 filter and a Gel Snap holder that will work for most lenses.

Anyone have any idea if these will work with Canon 24-70 or 16-35 lenses on a 1D?

102760.jpg

162544.jpg
    Sid.