Options

review: crumpler shrinkle backpack

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited October 24, 2004 in Accessories
hey guys,

having been through several different backpacks, i thought i'd share my experience.

for the past 1/2 year, i'd been using the lowepro computrekker aw. it's a fine backpack, well constructed etc. but it never seemed to ride right for me. having had back surgery a few years back (there was a time that i practially couldn't walk for over a year), i'm really fussy about stuff that goes on my back :-)

my quest continued, and after reading a positive review on the crumpler shrinkle right here, i thought i would share my comments with you as well.

the bag is everything that crumpler says it is and then some. it holds a ton of gear. easily a sony 828, flash, diopters, tele lenses, batteries, memory, cleaning supplies, laptop, and more! and most importantly, for me, it feels like a bag of air when i have it loaded down with all of my lenses and dslr. truly. it's the most comfortable pack i've ever owned. and, it's quite capacious, and i really dig the total customizability of the interior.

it's not cheap. adrorama sells them for nearly $200. but i can tell you this: it's built to last a lifetime, and if convenience, and comfort are important to you, then you should give this bag a looksee.

enjoy (carrying your gear in comfort) photography,

Comments

• Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    I have 2 crumpler bags myself. They are my favorite by far. I have a laptop/camera backpack & then one shoulder camera bag.

The Backpack:
    http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camerabag/the_formal_lounge.html

The Shoulder bag:
    http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camerabag/15_love.html

Like you I've had many back surgeries & I have to be careful w/ what I put on my back. There was once a time when I couldn't even wash my own hands. I intend to take care of myself so I won't have to do it again.

Dave
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    Dave,
    I've looked at the shoulder bag at the Crumpler web site. The pictures all look like a camera body without lens. How much gear and how do you configure your bag?
    Thanks,
    Brad

dkapp wrote:
    I have 2 crumpler bags myself. They are my favorite by far. I have a laptop/camera backpack & then one shoulder camera bag.

The Backpack:
    http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camerabag/the_formal_lounge.html

The Shoulder bag:
    http://www.crumplerusa.com/products/camerabag/15_love.html

Like you I've had many back surgeries & I have to be careful w/ what I put on my back. There was once a time when I couldn't even wash my own hands. I intend to take care of myself so I won't have to do it again.

Dave
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Dave,
    I've looked at the shoulder bag at the Crumpler web site. The pictures all look like a camera body without lens. How much gear and how do you configure your bag?
    Thanks,
    Brad

look at the review i linked, it shows how much you can stuff into this sack :D

i have in it

20d
    70-200 i.s.
    16-35
    50 f/1.4
    35 f/1.4
    hoods for al
    flash
    sony vaio laptop
    papers, notebook, cleaning supplies etc
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2004
    digismile wrote:
    Dave,
    Thanks,
    Brad

In my shoulder bag, I carry:

Nikon D70
    Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4 w/ lens hood (attached to D70)
    Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 w/ lens hood
    Nikon 50mm f/1.4 w/ lens hood
    Lensbaby lens
    mic filters
    Small light meter
    cleaning cloth & lens pen
    6 compact flash cards
    small notebook & pen
    other small misc items

This will fill the bag. I couldn't fit another lens, but possibly a flash. I don't own a flash, so I'm not sure how big they are. I don't need to carry anything else on my outings, but they do make bigger if you plan to pack more.

Hope that helps.
    Dave