Help in PS: fixing exposure probs

cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
edited May 2, 2006 in Finishing School
So I took a pic that had overexposed areas. I had seen where you can merge two exposures (+/-) to get a good photo from masking. Not sure if it will work, but I create a version from RAW where I adjusted EV to minimize white over exposure, and another to minimize black underexposure. I want to merge/mask these.

How do I create a layer from a second photo? Any tips on masking? Are any 'automagic' methods to select areas?

Comments

• wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 1, 2006
    Open up both pics. Control-A one of them (this selects everything.) Control-C copies it.

Click on the other photo. Control-V pastes the first shot over the second shot. You now have two layers in your Layers palette.

Click on the Layer Mask button at the bottom of your Layers palette.

Select the top layer. Select your paintbrush. Set the opacity to 100%. Set your colors to the default Black and White. Select black. Paint over your top layer. You'll see it removes the top layer, shows the bottom layer. Change your color to white. Paint over the same places. See how it restores the top layer?

Play with brush size, opacity and hardness to fine tune your masking. Paint over the areas you want to reveal from the bottom layer.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    wxwax wrote:
    Open up both pics. Control-A one of them (this selects everything.) Control-C copies it.

Click on the other photo. Control-V pastes the first shot over the second shot. You now have two layers in your Layers palette.

Click on the Layer Mask button at the bottom of your Layers palette.

Select the top layer. Select your paintbrush. Set the opacity to 100%. Set your colors to the default Black and White. Select black. Paint over your top layer. You'll see it removes the top layer, shows the bottom layer. Change your color to white. Paint over the same places. See how it restores the top layer?

Play with brush size, opacity and hardness to fine tune your masking. Paint over the areas you want to reveal from the bottom layer.

Well dang...that was easy...Thanks!

Wonder why there isnt a 'create layer from image" command, which is what I was looking for.

This masking will be very time consuming I can see
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    DanielB also mentioned a different way where you just use the luminosity from one layer and paste it on top of the other. I have seen other variations of this method but it works pretty well and is really easy.

[thread=27801]Blown Highlights=no more![/thread]
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto