ASCE - Midpac Competition - Concrete Canoe

firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
edited May 3, 2006 in Sports
ASCE=> American Society of Civil Engineers

As a former member of my school chapter I was pretty involved with our concrete canoe project. Since I've graduated, I still try and make it out to the yearly competition. This year the Mid Pacific conference was at Lake Merritt in Oakland, CA. The competition is broken down into three major categoies...the presentation/paper, races and construction of the boat. Concrete floats and when it doesn't foam can be used. In past years the concrete had to be inherently bouyant. I don't think it had to be this year. I made it for the last race. Hope you enjoy the pics. More at my gallery.

67186178-L-1.jpg

67188032-L-1.jpg

67189433-L-1.jpg

67189957-L-1.jpg

67192281-L-1.jpg

Comments

• ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 2, 2006
    Did you see the Ladies Of The Lake?

There's another Famous Concrete Ship on the coast. I believe it's called the
    Palo Alto...worth a visit if you haven't already.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited May 2, 2006
    Nice ones Kevin thumb.gif

Tough light, but you dun good clap.gif

Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 2, 2006
    Nothin' funnier than watching a bunch of engineers trying to paddle! lol3.gif

67188032-S.jpg

Our school, UMass Amherst, competes in the concrete canoe comp as well - every few years, the team gets brave enough to "test" it out in the campus pond before the big competition. I've never managed to get a photo of them.

Nice shots thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    That's for the comments....

I managed the canoe a couple years ago. It broke....Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif . I wish I could have got pics of the Steel Bridge....Davis is going to nationals again..GOOOO AGs. Back to defend our title.
  • firedancing4lifefiredancing4life Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    ian408 wrote:
    Did you see the Ladies Of The Lake?

There's another Famous Concrete Ship on the coast. I believe it's called the
    Palo Alto...worth a visit if you haven't already.

Ian

I've seen pics on the net but never have seen them in person. I should go out there..thanks for the idea!
  • NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Nothin' funnier than watching a bunch of engineers trying to paddle! lol3.gif
    +1 to that!

My good friend out at RIT ran the team his senior year.. As a EE/Software guy I never knew concrete was so intense. And to think, I used to give my father crap for being a civil guy.. No wait, I still give him crap for that! :D

Looks like a good time..