Need a Normal zoom that is Sharp!

VikingViking Registered Users Posts: 178 Major grins
edited May 3, 2006 in Cameras
I need a Normal Zoom, from ~17-70mm with a big aperture. That going to be my primary lens on my Nikon D200. I have looked at the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX but I have read alot of mixed feelings about it. I want it sharp from f2.8 portraits and up to f16 so I can get alot of deep of field on the landscapes and building pictures. Is there any lens that fits the needs I have?

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    For my Canon, I am very happy with the Tamron 28-75mm f2.8.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    From what I've heard that Nikon lens is great. Sigma also makes a 17-70 lens, but I would imagine it's a least a step down (quality, build) from the Nikon.
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Zoom Lenses... IMO
    My opinion is that, these words; "Zoom", "Wide-Open" and "Sharp" never co-exist especially in the shorter-than-tele focal lengths.

When someone claims that their zoom lens is sharp even when wide-open, then it is only sharp within very narrow zoom range.

For potraits, why not a prime with a foot-zoom? :):
  • ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    My opinion is that, these words; "Zoom", "Wide-Open" and "Sharp" never co-exist especially in the shorter-than-tele focal lengths.

When someone claims that their zoom lens is sharp even when wide-open, then it is only sharp within very narrow zoom range.

For potraits, why not a prime with a foot-zoom? :):

I agree.

I use my 85/1.8 and 50/1.8 whenever I can for portraits, but if the situation requires wider, I switch to my 28-75/2.8 and then worst case scenario, when the person wants a really distorted effect, I switch to my 18-55

I agree with mark's opinion. It's rather, a matter of fact unless you buy overpriced high-end glass.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Now I understand more...
    Viking wrote:
    I need a Normal Zoom, from ~17-70mm with a big aperture. That going to be my primary lens on my Nikon D200. I have looked at the Nikon 17-55mm f2.8 DX but I have read alot of mixed feelings about it. I want it sharp from f2.8 portraits and up to f16 so I can get alot of deep of field on the landscapes and building pictures. Is there any lens that fits the needs I have?

You know... I read your post again.

What you are looking for is a, if I may paraphrase, zoom lens that is sharp [edge to edge] at wide open [f2.8 or faster], for doing Potrait and Landscape photography with D200.

Oh boy...:uhoh

I have had D200 with 17-55 f2.8 DX. That is the best starting lens for D200 if the price is within your expectation. After all it is "the world's first constant f/2.8 3.2x zoom lens developed exclusively for use with Nikon DX Format":D

If I were you, I would rent that zoom for a week and test it out.

By the way, aren't the rules for all standard to wide zoom lenses go;
    1 - Always use lens hood
    2 - If you want to shoot at constant f2.8, buy a constant f1.4 or faster
    3 - Know all the ticks at Post-Processing
    ???

For me at least.:D
  • HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    For what you are seeking you have two options the 17-55 2.8 and the 28-70 2.8. I have the 28-70 and I'm very happy with it.

You can get excellent reviews of both lenses at
    http://bythom.com/nikon.htm

http://www.naturfotograf.com/index2.html
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Any zoom that goes wider than say 20mm is going to suffer from one type of optical distortion. This can be pincushion, barrel, etc.... This is going to be obvious if there are straight lines in the picture. There is obviously software to fix the distortions.

I disagree with some about zooms vs primes. There are zooms out there that outperform primes when it comes to line resolution. A quick example are the Canon 28-70, 24-70, and 70-200.

What makes a lens sharp is its resolution, contrast, micro contrast and they are characteristics found in every lens manufacturer, most obviously Zeiss, Leitz / Leica, Zuiko, Canon, and Nikon.

I often shoot at 2.8 and many zooms can deliver.

The thing that is bad for zooms without specifically identifying them is that any zoom that goes past 20mm or so, will have issues throughout its range, its that middle ground between price and useability.

So my recommendation would be something like the 28-70 that Harry recommended and then a wide zoom or wide prime, since you are going to have better optics that way.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    I have read some fantastic reviews on the Sigma 24 - 70 2.8 also, so another to choose from.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I agree with Harry's recommendations. You really have two good options in the Nikon lineup in this range.
    What is your concern about the 17-55? While I don't own it, it has a reputation for being on most people's must own list and would probably satisfy your needs.
    I own the 28-70mm, f2.8. This is the finest zoom I have ever owned and rarely leaves my D2X.