Options

50mm 1:4 lens - most used for??

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
edited May 10, 2006 in Technique
:dunno So, I use my Sigma 24-70 2.8 all the time. I'm seriously wondering why I have a beautiful Canon 50mm 1.4 that never comes out of the bag....
Who uses this lens? why? and can I see some piccies of results pleeeesa?
Or it's going on ebay....:uhoh

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    ne_nau.gif So, I use my Sigma 24-70 2.8 all the time. I'm seriously wondering why I have a beautiful Canon 50mm 1.4 that never comes out of the bag....

street:
    13827347-L-1.jpg

13025091-L-1.jpg

8622258-L-1.jpg

portraits:
    15643813-L.jpg

15643765-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    street:
    portraits:
    Oh geez... where is my head! and to think.. I nearly parted with it. Thanks Andy I shall get the little guy out and use it.clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    CaiusMartiusCaiusMartius Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    lynnma wrote:
    ne_nau.gif So, I use my Sigma 24-70 2.8 all the time. I'm seriously wondering why I have a beautiful Canon 50mm 1.4 that never comes out of the bag....

I don't have one, but I know that it is a good low light lens. It would be very usefull on a FF camera, but more of an indoor available light portrait lens on a a 1.6 crop.

The little brother of that lens is the 50mm 1.8. The benefit of the 1.4 over this lens is that it is higher build quality, has a manual focus ring, and when stopped down to 1.8 it significantly outperforms the cheaper lens. (It will have higher resolution, contrast, and less vignetting.)

I have been looking for a good low light lens, but have been really torn about it. The 50mm 1.4 is a great quality lens, but I have a 1.6 crop camera, which makes it equivalent to an 80mm prime. That is a nice portrait length, but it is way too narrow for much else.

There is also a 28mm 1.8 for about the same cost that I have been considering, but it doesn't get as good reviews.

The best advice I could give would be to play with the lens. In bright daylight, stopped down to F/8 that lens should produce amazing sharpness and detail. However, the 'fun' factor for that lens should come when you try to hand hold it in very low light conditions. (Try some night shots.)

For some sample pictures taken with that lens, take a look at these...

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Sample-Pictures.aspx?Equipment=115&desc=Canon-EF-50mm-f/1.4-USM-Lens-Sample-Pictures
    http://bedford.smugmug.com
    Gear: Canon 7D
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L
    Canon 28mm f/1.8
    Tamron 17-50 f/2.8
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Just a few
    I am a zoomer at heart, so prime lenses don't get a lot of action from me. However, when in need, I do turn to my 50mm which I keep in my bag at all times.

Low light: It can focus in crazy low light. And I can get exposures that allow hand held use too.

Depth of field: It's f/1.4, what more needs to be said?

Light weight: If weight is a concern via fatigue or injury, a small light lens can make the difference between getting a shot and wishing for better days.

Backup: Not enough attention is paid to this valubale feature, but when the need arises, having abackup will feel like you just found a gold ingot.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    Thanks Shay and Caius.. yep.. I'm "reconverted"..and now inspired to go forth where no woman and a 50mm has been before clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Here's a couple more:

Really low light @ f/1.4
    49303643-L.jpg

59592654-L.jpg

41338169-L.jpg

Stopped down in brighter light
    55356252-L.jpg

50568576-L.jpg
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    TristanPTristanP Registered Users Posts: 1,107 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    It's my low light and creative lens. Sometimes I wonder if a Sigma 30/1.4 would be better for indoor shots on the 20D, but for now, I'll stick with the Canon. Some of my favorites:

64816593-M.jpg

57713283-M.jpg

65029061-M.jpg

53363227-M.jpg
    panekfamily.smugmug.com (personal)
    tristansphotography.com (motorsports)

Canon 20D | 10-22 | 17-85 IS | 50/1.4 | 70-300 IS | 100/2.8 macro
    Sony F717 | Hoya R72
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    Thks Glu and Tristan..why in the world would I think I would'nt need this lensrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Shot's I've used it for.
    Primarily low light stuff but sometimes for portraits.

65476892-L.jpg

24669104-L-1.jpg

23260332-L-1.jpg

27289081-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Khaos,

I really like that shot of the girl.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Khaos,

I really like that shot of the girl.

Thank you David.

She's my niece, Lindsay.

It was very low lit shot. She's playing the piano and the only light is from the bulb used to light the music.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    thumb.gif nice photos
    i have heard 50mm are also great to photograph from waist level is that true ??
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    thumb.gif nice photos
    i have heard 50mm are also great to photograph from waist level is that true ??

That's something I've never tried. It will be something for me to attempt though.
  • Options
    edited May 2, 2006
    thanks all.. beautiful shots all clap.gif
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    Can do some awesome landscapes, too. MF 50mm Nikkor F1.4; not a nearly the same lens, but simular in principle.

53838896-L.jpg

53838906-M.jpg

53838912-M.jpg

This is a 50,, f1.8, before I found the 1.4;
    16576605-M.jpg
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    I can really see the difference between that lens and the 18-55 kit lens. Now I know why I can't get those clear crisp shots. I always have low light situations. I needed someone to show me the reason to invest in better lenses.
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    I can really see the difference between that lens and the 18-55 kit lens. Now I know why I can't get those clear crisp shots. I always have low light situations. I needed someone to show me the reason to invest in better lenses.

Yup. Fast glass is wonderfull. iloveyou.gif

And addicting. Consider yourself warned. :uhoh lol3.gif
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    I love using it but often forget about it.

54558521-M-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    4labs wrote:
    I love using it but often forget about it.

54558521-M-1.jpg
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif doggies rule!
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Gosh that's a great Lab!clap.gifclapclap.gif

BTW, I looked up the lens on B&H and found the 50mm f/1.8 II for 79.95 and the 50mm f/ 1.4 for 314.95 less $25 rebate. Why the big difference in price? What is the difference between these lenses. It really didn't say anything is the specs. That's why I don't run right out and spend megabucks on lenses. I don't know what you get for the big bucks. I do see the quality in the pictures you all have posted here. I know I don't get shots like that with my kit lens, but what's the difference between these two? The f/stop numbers seem so close. ne_nau.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    snapapple wrote:
    Gosh that's a great Lab!clap.gifclapclap.gif

BTW, I looked up the lens on B&H and found the 50mm f/1.8 II for 79.95 and the 50mm f/ 1.4 for 314.95 less $25 rebate. Why the big difference in price? What is the difference between these lenses. It really didn't say anything is the specs. That's why I don't run right out and spend megabucks on lenses. I don't know what you get for the big bucks. I do see the quality in the pictures you all have posted here. I know I don't get shots like that with my kit lens, but what's the difference between these two? The f/stop numbers seem so close. ne_nau.gif

Check this site out.... http://www.photo.net/equipment/canon/ef50/
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
    L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2
  • Options
    Mr. 2H2OMr. 2H2O Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Nice socks Andy...
    :d
    Olympus E-30
    IR Modified Sony F717