One of my faves for an intro...

Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
edited May 3, 2006 in People
Hi Guys,

Im new here but thought Id jump right in, as is my nature!

I do mostly senior photography, this was one from this year that I loved.. I suppose its a masculine pose, but it still appeals to me... we were trying to show her ring.

I use all natural light.. AKA the huge softbox that is my living room window.. because, well.. IM POOR! But Im excited to start using lights soon as that dang Ed McMahon and his prize patrol find their way to my house!

Thanks for looking.. and Im happy to be here!

Yvette

Comments

• JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    I really like it.... very nice lighting. Welcome!
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • ingramimagesingramimages Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    I agree. Something of a newb myself. Your "lighting on the cheap" works well. How do you "Background on the cheap"?
    "All the art in my work dwells in the subjects; it's all theirs. It's not made up by me; I ain't that smart."

• gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 2, 2006
    How do you "Background on the cheap"?

Get a large piece of plywood or even foamboard and some cheap acrylic paint and paint an abstract pattern on it. As long as your subject is far enough away from the background and you use a large enough aperture the background will blur and give you a pleasing backdrop.

Good job of using what you have available Yvette. It is a lovely picture and welcome to dgrinclap.gif .
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • IronhorseIronhorse Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I am not crazy about the pose, but I love the lighting.
    Regards,

Joe
  • Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Thank you, Guys.
    Ironhorse wrote:
    I am not crazy about the pose, but I love the lighting.
    yep, I've been called on the pose a few times, but its ok.. I still like it! ;o)

As far as cheap? Im yer girl.. wait.. that sounded bad... what I mean is.. I can shoot anything cheaply.. does that sound better?

I have some polyester stuff from Walmart that was a buck a yard.. black, and looks like velvet but its got poly in it so it drapes and stretches and washes and dries awesomely! I say you should go check it out! Ive also been known to use discount store drapes and sheers.... I may have a few on my pc with those.. lemme look...
    edited May 3, 2006
    I find that I use black and white and thats about it...
    heres one using sunlight, a carseat, a really cute baby and some $4 sheers from Walmart...
    edited May 3, 2006
    and of course.. shooting outdoors is always cheap and easy.. ;o)
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    wow those came out really great. very cute photos. i can say from first hand experience that family and children portraits are hard but once you get the eye, its just downhill, and i think you got the eye. hah, i think infants < 1 year old are great, theyre so easy, however 2 year olds are all hell raisers!!
    edited May 3, 2006
    Mr Peas,

I stay away from groups of kids as much as I can! I have enough of my own! Here are two that I did for my mom for Mothers Day last year.. the first is of my kids and stepkids when i was married, and the second is all the grandkids.

When I proofed them, I was heartbroken that the babies in the front are so off center... but then of course, I told myself.. theyre all looking forwards, decent expressions, nobody bit, cried or pooped their pants, IM GOOD TO GO! I took these in my tiny living room, I was backed into my dining room, and used natural light.

This year.. my moms getting a card. Laughing.gif!!!
    edited May 3, 2006
    and the whole clan. NEVER AGAIN...
  • ingramimagesingramimages Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Great work! I'm catching onto the "background on the cheap" but sometimes I feel like I'm getting the goofy wrinkled bedsheet look. I guess it's the space and the DOF.
    Thanks!
    "All the art in my work dwells in the subjects; it's all theirs. It's not made up by me; I ain't that smart."

• ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Great work! I'm catching onto the "background on the cheap" but sometimes I feel like I'm getting the goofy wrinkled bedsheet look. I guess it's the space and the DOF.
    Thanks!

Ok, Yvette, Im starting to be a big fan of your work!!!!
    I want to learn everything you know, love your styleclap.gif!!!!
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
    edited May 3, 2006
    Hey thanks!
    ellepixels wrote:
    Ok, Yvette, Im starting to be a big fan of your work!!!!
    I want to learn everything you know, love your styleclap.gif!!!!

So much!

The two best things i can tell you are: Get the on camera flash OFF Your camera. Its the difference between a snapshot and a portrait, I believe. Spend the ( to me it was a lot.. ) 125.00 or so on Ebay to get yourself a good light meter and then have at it. ;o)

I never knew about light meters.. now I use mine and feel like somehow Im cheating , it has made it so easy!!

Yvette