Options

One of my favorites form a trip to Scotland

fire1035fire1035 Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
edited May 3, 2006 in Wildlife
Took this one while in Scotland in 2004. This is most likely my favorite picture I have ever taken. The castle in the background is known as Cawdor and is the home to the Thanes of Cawdor, Campbell is their surname. Let me know what you think!

Comments

• Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Ok couldn't get it to attach the first time. Let's try again.
  • Options
    maegandoughertymaegandougherty Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Where's the picture?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    I can see it now. It is on my second post. For some reason I couldn;t get it to attach the first time. If it's still not there let me know and I will try to have a Mod delete this thread and I will put up a new one.
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I see it, and it is really cool!

I love the colors,
    the blue of the flowers is gorgeous!

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    snapapplesnapapple Registered Users Posts: 2,093 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Yep, I see it. Very nice shot. Nice contrast with the "homey" type flowers and the grand home in the background. I like the angle where you got down low and got the sky in the background.thumb.gif
    "A wise man will make more opportunities than he finds." - Francis Bacon
    Susan Appel Photography My Blog
  • Options
    BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Macbeth
    Hi, nice shot. I know the area well and have a good friend who worked for many years on the estate.

Thought you might like to hear the Macbeth connection.

"Macbeth was born about 1005. His mother was Donada, second daughter of King Malcolm II of Scotland, and his father was Findlay, chieftain of Moray. Macbeth married Gruoch, a widowed grand-daughter of King Kenneth III. Gruoch's brother, and her first husband died at the hands of Malcolm's followers headed by another grandson and his successor, King Duncan I.

Avenging his wife and disputing the throne, Macbeth brought Duncan's rule to an abrupt end: on 14 August 1040, Duncan was mortally wounded at Pitgaveny, and died at Elgin Castle in Moray. Macbeth was crowned High King of Scots at Scone outside Perth, with his Queen.

The skilled recorders of early Scottish history were the monks. Andrew of Wyntoun, a canon of St Andrews in Fife, completed his Cronykil in 1406, setting down facts in sequence, and embroidering them with old fables and older myths.

He spins us a tale about Macbeth who is asleep, dreaming of three weird sisters, who in turn murmur about his destiny: the Thane of Cromarty, the Thane of Moray, and lastly the King.

A later historian, Hector Boethius (or Boyis, a Dundee family) published his Chronicle in 1527. He drew upon Wyntoun's story of Macbeth, but decided to change the predicted titles to the Thane of Glamis and the Thane of 'Cawder'.

Boethius changed several other aspects of Wyntoun's story, and invented the character of Banquo, Thane of Lochaber, to extend the royal Stuart line back to the nebulous personage of King Arthur - to please King James V. The romantic, raffish Stuarts actually emanated from prosaic Brittany in France.

William Shakespeare wrote the final version of The Tragedie of Macbeth during the spring of 1606. Holinshed's narrative of witches, prophesy, treason, execution and murder were topics that fascinated King James VI of Scotland (and by then James I of England) to the point of obsession. This opportunity was not lost on Shakespeare, who put the finishing touches to the script in time for a special royal performance at Hampton Court that same summer to entertain the King and his brother-in-law, Christian IV, King of Denmark.

Although the murder of Duncan takes place in Inverness Castle, it is often associated with Cawdor Castle.

The Upshot

The truth is that as Cawdor Castle was not built until the late 14th century, it is impossible for King Duncan to have lost any blood or Lady Macbeth much sleep in this particular house."

Did you take in the Culloden battle field? The last battle fought on British soil just down the road from Cawdor. We got beaten by the English, but thats another story...:uhoh

Bod...
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Pretty Shot. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"