Comet Now !

kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
edited May 4, 2006 in Holy Macro
A comet is going on in the sky right now, and we might be able to catch it. A photo-op durring the Shoot Out too?
From an article:
Comet S-W 3 travels a huge distance across the sky from late April through May. Use the big chart directly below to find out precisely where the comet is positioned on any night. The small charts at bottom show how the comet's path is oriented with respect to the horizon at prime viewing times.

In the Evening

By the last week of April, the comet should be bright enough for you to see it easily through a telescope or binoculars from a dark location. It'll be fairly well placed for viewing by 11PM daylight-saving time -- though it's higher and easier to see if you stay up until midnight or later.

Evening viewing gets rapidly more problematic in early May, when the comet starts to plunge toward the horizon and the waxing moon lights up the evening sky. But if you have a telescope and live on the East Coast, you have good reason to persist until 11PM ET on May 7, when S-W 3 passes right next to the Ring Nebula -- a spectacular sight at high magnifcation.

In the Morning

From late April to May 9, conditions are ideal for observing S-W 3 immediately before the sky starts to get light. At this time, the comet is nearly overhead and the moon has already set. Check your local newspaper for the time of sunrise and be sure to start scanning for the comet at least two hours earlier.

The comet gets progressively harder to see starting on May 10, when it gets rapidly lower at each successive dawn and the moon lights up the early-morning sky.

67621449-L.jpg

67621453-L.jpg

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I'll have a look from this end of town KB...thanks for the heads up.

I remember about 35 years ago when we were kids & walking the cows in for milking before dawn ..watching bennetts comet low in the east. It was much bigger than this photo to me as a smalll kid & looked like a big fire ball with a long tail. It was pretty amazing for us as kids back then. I read somewhere its a 1:10 000 year comet.
  • kudbegudkudbegud Registered Users Posts: 190 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    hope you can find it and snap its mug shot. i went out at midnight but couldnt find it...i will keep trying though. wouldnt that be neat if it was as big and visible as the shot you linked!! woowhoo!
  • DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    By the last week of April, the comet should be bright enough for you to see it easily through a telescope or binoculars from a dark location.
    This tells me that it won't be visible to the naked eye, so it's pretty dim and small. If you know where to aim you could take a shot with a decent zoom lens maybe, but I would venture to guess that you will need a camera looking through a telescope on a tracking mount to get a really good image.ne_nau.gif
    edited May 4, 2006
    thats for sure DJ. i looked with some high power binoculars but couldnt even identify the constellations the picture showed. maybe i need a compass too. mwink.gif
    edited May 4, 2006
    kudbegud wrote:
    thats for sure DJ. i looked with some high power binoculars but couldnt even identify the constellations the picture showed. maybe i need a compass too. mwink.gif

Its brightness is +7.4 ...so we may well all be out of luck.

Sun-26.7 (about 400 000 times brighter than full Moon!)Full Moon-12.7Brightest Iridium flares-8Venus (at brightest)-4.4International Space Station-2Sirius (brightest star)-1.44Limit of human eye+6 to +7Limit of 10x50 binoculars+9Pluto+14Limit of Hubble Space Telescope+30
    edited May 4, 2006
    thanx. i'm gonna try the morning thing as its easier to look straight up then scan what i think is east. will post the results....positive or negative.
    edited May 4, 2006
    kudbegud wrote:
    thanx. i'm gonna try the morning thing as its easier to look straight up then scan what i think is east. will post the results....positive or negative.

http://www.heavens-above.com/main.asp?Loc=Kihei&Lat=20.785&Lng=-156.466&Alt=13&TZ=UCT10

I set the page to kihei...have a look under comet.
    edited May 4, 2006
    thats great! clap.gif

now if i can just identify Hercules or Draco ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif :cry
    edited May 4, 2006
    kudbegud wrote:
    thats great! clap.gif

now if i can just identify Hercules or Draco ne_nau.gifheadscratch.gif :cry

ne_nau.gif ..one of them is sure to look greek & be half naked...cant be too hard 'eh ?
    edited May 4, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifmwink.gif

went to the full sky chart on that link and set the time for 4:30 am 5/5....now at least i can get a lot closer!!!!!
    thumb.gif you da man!!
  • BodwickBodwick Registered Users Posts: 396 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Schwassmann-Wachmann 3
    I shot a single frame last year of the Corona Borealis which is the area you want to look to. You see the half circle top middle slighty right.
    CoronaBorealis.jpg

It's cloudy (as usual) so nothing to see here...

A good article.
    http://skyandtelescope.com/observing/objects/comets/article_147_1.asp

A good bit of info on the comet.

Note: On the evening of May 7th for North America, C will pass almost exactly over the Ring Nebula in Lyra! Closest approach should be around 11 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time (3:00 May 8th Universal Time). Mark your calendar.

Bod.
    "The important thing is to just take the picture with the lens you have when the picture happens."
    Jerry Lodriguss - Sports Photographer

Reporters sans frontières
    edited May 4, 2006
    clap.gif
    that helps a lot.....i was looking in all the wrong places!!! rolleyes1.gif

i'll try in the morning

THANKS!!