Photoshop Convention Live post.

2»

Comments

• colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Okay, the crowd had no idea about the lens correction filter so I'll mention it here. Go to filter > distort > lens correction. On the left side of the box, find the straighten tool (the 2nd tool from the top) and drag a line that is parallel to something that should be horizontal or vertical. The image will rotate automatically. Then you can use the scale slider on the bottom right instead of cropping the image to finish it up.

There is also a straighten tool in Adobe Camera Raw and it is one of my favorite time-savers. Straighten and crop the image at the Raw file and every future conversion will carry that correction.
  • bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    I see we're going to jump straight into chapter 15 of Margules' Lab color book with the Image>apply image command. They're doing a quite simplistic version of what Margules uses. Choosing to apply Lab, a, or b to the whole image. He should try applying applying a to a or b to b as Margules did. Oh well. But it is a very quick way to add some pop to an image. In Lab mode do image > apply image and then apply the a or b channel and play around with the overlay method and the opacity. Quick and easy but not too powerful.

Lots of jumping back and forth from Lab to RGB. Margules specifically says to use the convert to profile but the presenter likes to do the image > mode > Lab which is more destructive.

New tip... instead of flatten image use this <ctrl><alt><shift>e (<cmd><option><shift> e). That takes all visible layers and will merge them into a new layer on top. If you have a type layer there are some quirks. If you need to change the type in the merge, you need to delete the merged version, change the type and then re-merge.

Yeah this is handy mike, it is called stamp visible. Create new empty layer and then Alt Ctrl Shift E. Handy to merge all visible layers then if you want to copy that layer to another document. I tend to do this also for psd with many layers also.
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Yeah this is handy mike, it is called stamp visible. Create new empty layer and then Alt Ctrl Shift E. Handy to merge all visible layers then if you want to copy that layer to another document. I tend to do this also for psd with many layers also.

yeahbut... no need to create an empty layer first.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • dandilldandill Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Mike Lane wrote:
    They demonstrated that tip on a headshot of a woman that had a strong yellow color cast. The before and after was amazing. I know what you're getting at and I don't know why it worked so well. But it did work. I'm not sure what the limits are though.
    Thanks very much for this tip!

In the several cases I have tried the pixels found have RGB values clustered closely around 127, for example, R, G, B = 124, 131, 128. Setting such points to middle gray with curves (I used a 3 x 3 sample), sharply improved color.

By the way, in your original post, did you mean to write "move the threshold slider all the way to the *left*" (and then come back to the right to find the first places where black appears)?

Thanks again.
    Dan Dill

"It is a magical time. I am reluctant to leave. Yet the shooting becomes more difficult, the path back grows black as it is without this last light. I don't do it anymore unless my husband is with me, as I am still afraid of the dark, smile.

This was truly last light, my legs were tired, my husband could no longer read and was anxious to leave, but the magic and I, we lingered........"
    Ginger Jones
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Great effort thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 21, 2006
    Great stuff, Mike! This thread is a keeper.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au