Options

My newest piece of equipment

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in Accessories
Hi Y'all,

Its been getting tiresome toting around all my equipment lately. I placed the following ad in our local paper "Sherpa wanted -heavy work, extremely low pay, lots of verbal abuse". For some reason I had no takers, even the illegals didn't want the job. Facing a future of back aches and hernias I was desperate. Then another photographer recommended the
BEACH ROLLY!! :clap
67633947-O.jpg

67633936-O.jpg

In the above shots the Beach Rolly is holding the following: a Gitzo 1325 Carbon Fiber Tripod; a Wimberly Head; a Nikon 500mm F/4; Nikon 300mm F4; Nikon VR 80-400; Nikon VR 70-200 2.8; a Nikon 28-70 2.8; a Better Beamer; a Nikon SB-800 flash; and an Epson P2000.

It is amazingly easy to wheel all that equipment around and it manuevers very easily. It also serves as a chair when unloaded. :DThe Beach Rolly weighs just 10 pounds, folds to 28"X21"X5.5" for your trunk , and is made of solid, non-rusting aluminum. It will haul up to 154 pounds, and as a chair hold 264 pounds.

I bought it online from a company called Practical Products of America.

When my Beach Rolly arrived the axle had been damaged in shipment. I e-mailed the company on Saturday. On Monday morning I had received a response from them and around an hour later confirmation that a replacement axle had been shipped to me. I received the replacement axle on Thursday and the Beach Rolly assembly could not have been easier. I was extremely pleased with their fast response to my problem.

Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I saw few other people were using the jogging baby strollers to do the same thing. Regardless of what andy thinks, it is a lot of weight to carry miles :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    Regardless of what andy thinks,

:nono since H moved to the land of dinner at 4pm, I don't get that much chance to make fun of him... so when served up a softball, over the middle of the plate, I have to swing at it!
  • Options
    Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    :nono since H moved to the land of dinner at 4pm, I don't get that much chance to make fun of him... so when served up a softball, over the middle of the plate, I have to swing at it!

Good Point Andy. Harry so is dinner Half Price if you eat before 4pm?
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    In the above shots the Beach Rolly is holding the following: a Gitzo 1325 Carbon Fiber Tripod; a Wimberly Head; a Nikon 500mm F/4; Nikon 300mm F4; Nikon VR 80-400; Nikon VR 70-200 2.8; a Nikon 28-70 2.8; a Better Beamer; a Nikon SB-800 flash; and an Epson P2000.

All that kit and no place for a camera headscratch.gif

Stan
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Excuse me but if I recall correctly during your visit down here it was Andy whining about the dinner hour being too late for him (also breakfast and lunch).
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Stan wrote:
    All that kit and no place for a camera headscratch.gif

Stan

Oh there's more than enough room for my camera and bag on it. Just needed the camera to take the picture. :D I usually bag a second body and put it in there on top and carry my main camera on my shoulder.
    Harry
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 3, 2006
    That's exactly what I've been looking for!!

Thanks Harry, That is just perfect.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

17029255-L.gif17029255-L.gif
  • Options
    NHBubbaNHBubba Registered Users Posts: 342 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    My GF's family is filled w/ hard-core beach people. For me going to the beach used to mean bringing a towel, some sunscreen, and maybe a small cooler w/ some lunch. Not so w/ these people, they pack enough for a small civilization! Her mom is the master packing artist.. and I do mean arist. They have a pair of 'buggies' for carrying all their implements around on. The smaller is basically one of those fold-up suitcase carriers you see business travelers and airline people w/ in the airport.. except it has these mondo blowup tires on it. Crosses sand like a dream, even w/ the mini-fridge, kitchen sink, and tent onboard. It also breaks down and bungies rather nicely to the trunk of their Miata. Something like that would probably be perfect for you guys..
  • Options
    StanStan Registered Users Posts: 1,077 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Oh there's more than enough room for my camera and bag on it. Just needed the camera to take the picture. :D I usually bag a second body and put it in there on top and carry my main camera on my shoulder.

And I thought you were the guy in Andy's pic with 8 cameras mounted on a bit of 4" x 2" mounted on a tripod rolleyes1.gifrofl

Stan
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    You mean you're going to get out of your car to take pictures?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Great idea Harry
    Especially the fat tires that should roll over sand well. I'm sure you'll find it very useful! Let us know how it works out. I'm afraid, unpacked, it's a wee too low for me to use as a chair though. These old knees just "ain't what they used to be."
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I saw few other people were using the jogging baby strollers to do the same thing. Regardless of what andy thinks, it is a lot of weight to carry miles :)

It is nice to get that 500mm of my shoulders. Never listen to Andy. He was deprived of ribs once for 24 hours and he never recovered. The poor lad just lost it and basically just babbles nonsense these days. :cry
    Harry
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    :lol Thanks for the laughs, everyone. You have all just made my day!!! I'm with Dee.....too low for my knees!
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    C'mon, Harry - carry your stuff like a man!

67703839-L-2.jpg

18229548-M.jpg
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Sweet Mother of God! eek7.gif
    Second one it's not bad but it's flat. First one is better but the left arm ne_nau.gif... empty handed. :D

Harry, "Sherpa wanted -heavy work, extremely low pay, lots of verbal abuse"...
    sorry, I've missed that one... but looking forwardrolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33364 Hey, you did not mention that so I have to pass...:D
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Andy wrote:

THat's what I like tough talk from a city boy who breaks out in a cold sweat when there's no Starbucks within sight. :smack
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

It works well and its perfect for St Augustine and the Orlando Wetlands.
    Harry
  • Options
    ForeheadForehead Registered Users Posts: 679 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    I dunno. Seems to be missing something...maybe a surf rod and a couple cans of Fosters! :slosh
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

Its been getting tiresome toting around all my equipment lately. I placed the following ad in our local paper "Sherpa wanted -heavy work, extremely low pay, lots of verbal abuse". For some reason I had no takers, even the illegals didn't want the job. Facing a future of back aches and hernias I was desperate. Then another photographer recommended the
    BEACH ROLLY!! clap.gif
    67633947-O.jpg

67633936-O.jpg

It is amazingly easy to wheel all that equipment around and it manuevers very easily. It also serves as a chair when unloaded. :DThe Beach Rolly weighs just 10 pounds, folds to 28"X21"X5.5" for your trunk , and is made of solid, non-rusting aluminum. It will haul up to 154 pounds, and as a chair hold 264 pounds.

I bought it online from a company called Practical Products of America.

When my Beach Rolly arrived the axle had been damaged in shipment. I e-mailed the company on Saturday. On Monday morning I had received a response from them and around an hour later confirmation that a replacement axle had been shipped to me. I received the replacement axle on Thursday and the Beach Rolly assembly could not have been easier. I was extremely pleased with their fast response to my problem.
    Steve-o
  • Options
    Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Harryb.
    You are a brave man. thumb.gif
    And before this sherpa ?!...
    On your back ?? !! ... rolleyes1.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited May 4, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    Excuse me but if I recall correctly during your visit down here it was Andy whining about the dinner hour being too late for him (also breakfast and lunch).

He started around 10 for lunch and about 3 for dinner as I recall...

Interesting tool Harry!

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited May 4, 2006
    Harryb wrote:
    It works well and its perfect for St Augustine and the Orlando Wetlands.
    My thoughts exactly Harry. Or anytime your going to hike in for a mile or more in the dark - you have room on that for a blind also.

SO you could arrive before sun up and be all set up in the blind by sunrise. That would be very useful in a lot of bird sanctuaries. You could bring your Starbucks in a thernos

Even Andy is going to want one.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    You mean you're going to get out of your car to take pictures?

Of course, I'm now mobile again. rolleyes1.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Dee wrote:
    Especially the fat tires that should roll over sand well. I'm sure you'll find it very useful! Let us know how it works out. I'm afraid, unpacked, it's a wee too low for me to use as a chair though. These old knees just "ain't what they used to be."

I don't expect to be using it too much as a chair myself. I would be able to get out but only in a very undignified way. :lol
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Forehead wrote:
    I dunno. Seems to be missing something...maybe a surf rod and a couple cans of Fosters! :slosh

It will hold even a surf board and there's always room for some beer. beer.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    saurora wrote:
    :lol Thanks for the laughs, everyone. You have all just made my day!!! I'm with Dee.....too low for my knees!

I can see that Dgrin's audience is older than I thought. biggrinbounce2.gif
    Harry
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    I use one of these for my gear. :D

59740764.jpg

If I have to travel light...I just take along the essentials.

59750720.jpg
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    Sweet Mother of God! eek7.gif
    Second one it's not bad but it's flat. First one is better but the left arm ne_nau.gif... empty handed. :D

Harry, "Sherpa wanted -heavy work, extremely low pay, lots of verbal abuse"...
    sorry, I've missed that one... but looking forwardrolleyes1.gif
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33364 Hey, you did not mention that so I have to pass...:D

Not to worry. I would never allow my sherpa to get chewed by any gator. I would have to carry my stuff them. :nah

Don't fall for Andy's :bs

This was his normal position when we shot togther
    28114040.jpg

or this
    26021855.jpg

or this
    26541696.jpg

or this
    25586257.jpg

These shots are from my pbase gallery. Knowing pbase not all will probably show up at once. Just hit refesh a couple of times and you should see all of the shots. Another good reason why I switched to Smugmug.
    Harry
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited May 6, 2006
    rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

59740764.jpg

iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif

59750720.jpg

Mike, you are the photocomposition king. bowdown.gif