10365025-L.jpg
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Taken from the Elliot Bridge, 24 October 2004
    I love number two but I feel like she's cropped a tad too much from the right.. number three is a great shot, I like the line.. I like number one as well but the color on my monitor is not wowing me.. (but I'm in a high saturation mode as you know):D
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2004
    lynnma wrote:
    I love number two but I feel like she's cropped a tad too much from the right.. number three is a great shot, I like the line.. I like number one as well but the color on my monitor is not wowing me.. (but I'm in a high saturation mode as you know):D
    Number 2 wasn't cropped, but it was framed the way it is. I sort of liked it, but I can see how it could feel wrong.

I could make the color in number 1 a wow. Maybe I will.

Thanks.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    lynnma wrote:

I'm with Lynn here - I wish I could see more to the right of the blond rower. In the first shot that must be a totally carbon fibre single - cool .
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,905 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    The HOC postings are great!

In the first shot, you can see effort but the second is kind of 'flat' in that
    regard. Looks like she's on the way to the start.

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    damonffdamonff Registered Users Posts: 1,894 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    I like how the second one gives the feeling that she's leaving the picture...kind of an implied movement thing going on. Interesting effect and innovative I think. I like new ideas like this.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    ian408 wrote:
    The HOC postings are great!

In the first shot, you can see effort but the second is kind of 'flat' in that
    regard. Looks like she's on the way to the start.

ian
    I don't know that much about rowing; I've only been to the HOTC once before and that was long enough ago that my children weren't interested and were a real distraction. This time my son was actually interested and we paid a lot more attention. Watching the races, I was impressed that the rowers made it seem easy, like they weren't really working hard at all. When I looked at the shots later, I was impressed at the captures where they really look like they are working very hard. My guess (and I bet someone actually knows) is that part of the secrect of this sport is to stroke very hard and recover inbetween. Both of these women are elite rowers; they were seeded 1 & 2 in this race, which was a chapionship race.

I loved watching this event. It was a lot like going to a cross country ski race. It's a very intense sport which requires the highest level of fitness. It's not a hugely popular sport like tennis or golf or baseball. But a big even like this draws the elite participants from all over the country and that adds up to quite a few very involved people. Whereever we stood, people in the crowd were more than happy to explain what was going on; most of them were also rowers.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    I don't know that much about rowing; ..... Watching the races, I was impressed that the rowers made it seem easy, like they weren't really working hard at all. When I looked at the shots later, I was impressed at the captures where they really look like they are working very hard. My guess (and I bet someone actually knows) is that part of the secrect of this sport is to stroke very hard and recover inbetween.

I loved watching this event. It was a lot like going to a cross country ski race. It's a very intense sport which requires the highest level of fitness. It's not a hugely popular sport like tennis or golf or baseball. But a big even like this draws the elite participants from all over the country and that adds up to quite a few very involved people. Whereever we stood, people in the crowd were more than happy to explain what was going on; most of them were also rowers.

One of the interesting things is that the recovery movement of the sliding seat needs to be done slowly and smoothly so as NOT to retard the boats forward momentum while the rowers are moving backward on the sliding seats in preperation for the next stroke - sloppy movement can reallly slow a boat down - this may be why it looks like a good rower is not working that hard - as you later saw - the oarpersons are working at a very high level, but the movements need to be smooth and not jerky OR hurried and the entry of the oars into the water and out of the water needs to be as smooooth as glass also. thumb.gif

Great captures, John.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin