Many questions from a prospective SmugMug user

2»

Comments

• Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    get a diso when you put this in refrel code dAtTjTaaTxpyE or awaisyaqub@gmail.com
    you can also join communties
    for example
    http://www.smugmug.com/community/IndianSubcontinent

iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Is there a way to name my own categories?
    OK. I'm in. I took the plunge. I am now an official member. thumb.gif

I have to tell you that one deciding factor was this message board. In this day and age, one huge differentiation between service providers is the accessibility to advice.

Before I abandon this thread (and thanks again for the time all of you spent answering my questions so far) I have another question which has come up as I begin to upload photos...

... namely, is there a way to name my own Categories? In other words, am I forced to have the standard Travel, Family, etc. as the highest level of the tree structure?

I decided to place this question in here rather than start a new thread because I suspect some of you are subscribed to this thread and I might get more attention this way. After this though I promise to abandon this thread.

Sorry to all of you here who offered to provide me with your referral code. I managed to get in contact with the person who originally sent me to SmugMug, and I used his code. I kind of like the marketing concept though -- it's a good way to gain more customers because the $10 discount is a great motivator to members.

Regards,
    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006

... namely, is there a way to name my own Categories? In other words, am I forced to have the standard Travel, Family, etc. as the highest level of the tree structure?
    http://www.smugmug.com/help/upload-photo

wave.gif Welcome To SmugMug! You did a thorough exam, and I, for one, am impressed.

We're here to help, anytime thumb.gif
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006

You can absolutely create your own categories (and subcategories too) by going into your control panel and clicking on "categories" (or is it category? I'm blocked from work ne_nau.gif).
    I decided to place this question in here rather than start a new thread because I suspect some of you are subscribed to this thread and I might get more attention this way. After this though I promise to abandon this thread.

There are those who constantly monitor all of the various forums, we're all pretty good at catching new posts pretty quickly. So feel free to start new topics if you want. That said, I don't think anyone has a problem with you continuing on asking for help in this thread. We very often merge multiple threads from one person into a new thread just so things don't get too confusing around here.
    Sorry to all of you here who offered to provide me with your referral code.

lol3.gif No appologies necessary. If you've got any other questions, feel free to ask away. But you may find everything you need to get started by going to your smugmug homepage and clicking the word help at the top. The help files really are helpful (they even tell you about creating custom categories and subcategories deal.gif) and you wouldn't have to wait for responses. That's not to say that we won't or don't want to answer any question you may have.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • GaryBakkerGaryBakker Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Welcome To SmugMug! You did a thorough exam, and I, for one, am impressed.
    Thanks. That's a very kind thing to say.
    Mike Lane wrote:
    You can absolutely create your own categories (and subcategories too) by going into your control panel and clicking on "categories"... The help files really are helpful (they even tell you about creating custom categories and subcategories)
    Sheesh. I really need a self-head-slap smiley. I even looked there and couldn't quite find my answer. Once I read your post and went back and looked again, it made sense.

So I'm all set. Well, in the spirit of never-say-never, I'm all set for now.

Thanks again, I really, really appreciate all your collective assistance.
    Gary
    SmugMug site => The Bakker Chautauqua
    "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." (Einstein)