name this canon camera

Sask2005Sask2005 Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
edited May 4, 2006 in Cameras
Could someone please tell me what MODEL number of Canon camera this photographer is using and the make and model of the lens? I want to buy one.

Found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzphotopro1/140026922/

Thanks
bruce

Comments

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    It looks like a 1DmkII except for a body difference in the back so I will guess a 1Ds. The lens is probably a 70-200. Flash is a 580ex.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Mind if I ask why you are buying a certain camera just because a photographer was using it?
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 3, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    It looks like a 1DmkII except for a body difference in the back so I will guess a 1Ds. The lens is probably a 70-200. Flash is a 580ex.
    15524779-Ti.gif

It looks like this picture of the 1Ds:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/Images/allroundview.jpg

... and I have the 70-200mm, f2.8L and the lens in the picture looks like that lens.

Good call Bob.

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Hmmmm
    gluwater wrote:
    Mind if I ask why you are buying a certain camera just because a photographer was using it?

:D Why not? I bought Nikon D200 because they look better... Crinkle paint lenses.... Yummmm

Planing on Leica MP... so very sexy!
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    MarkM6 wrote:
    :D Why not? I bought Nikon D200 because they look better... Crinkle paint lenses.... Yummmm

Planing on Leica MP... so very sexy!

I guess we know who are photographers and who are posers.
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I guess we know who are photographers and who are posers.

rolleyes1.gif
    Sold my D200 about 3 months later...
  • BodleyBodley Registered Users Posts: 766 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Sask2005 wrote:
    Could someone please tell me what MODEL number of Canon camera this photographer is using and the make and model of the lens? I want to buy one.

Found here http://www.flickr.com/photos/nzphotopro1/140026922/

Thanks
    bruce

Is this a photo of Catto's equipment? rolleyes1.gif Sorry, I couldn't resist. :deadhorse

Looks like a 580ex flash / 70-200mm f2.8 lens and 1 series body (don't know which)

Why would you want to buy a camera/lens/flash because this guy shoot's it? Tell the board what you want to accomplish and you'll get better responses. You never know - this guy your copying may not be shooting with what he needs just shooting with what he has.
    Greg
    "Tis better keep your mouth shut and be thought of as an idiot than to open your mouth and remove all doubt"
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 4, 2006
    If it is the 1Ds it is a very fine camera, but I would personally rather have a 5D. (I'd really rather have the 5Ds MKII, but "they" won't even talk about it at this point.:): )

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • CattoCatto Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Bodley wrote:
    Is this a photo of Catto's equipment?

Yes, it more or less is - although it's not actually a photo of me. As someone's mentioned, it looks like a Canon 1Ds, as opposed to my 1DMkII - but if so, it certainly wouldn't be the right choice for sports I wouldn't have said. Great, massive files (in good light - not as good at high ISO compared to the MkII series), but how quick was the motor drive on those? 3fps?

A 1DMkIIN with the same lens & flash combo would be a better choice (as you & I know, Bodley); but it's a far cry from the cost of an Olympus E300 - the lens alone would be worth twice as much.

In New Zealand dollars, the rig that photographer's holding would be worth:
    Body (new 1DMkIIN): $6799
    Lens (70-200 f/2.8L IS): $3299
    Flash (580EX): $799
    Rough total: $10,897
    Plus large memory cards, spare batteries, and several more lenses of similar or greater value.

(Olympus E330 & kit lens: $1775)

Does this perhaps go some way to explaining why I charge more than yourself, Bruce, given that I have approximately three to four times that much camera equipment - and plan to replace it every two years for reliability and up-to-date camera bodies?

You might wish to reconsider your 'have me shoot your event for free' and 'download & print these images for free' approach, if you wish to build a sustainable business model which will support the level of camera equipment you're after...much less if you're considering it as a source of income, rather than an expensive hobby.
    R
    Robert Catto, Photographer
    Seatoun, Wellington New Zealand
    http://www.catto.co.nz