query regarding security

marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have a "friends" category with multiple galleries that all have one password. If someone gives a person the url from one of the galleries within that category, I know that that person would then have access to each gallery with the same password. But how long does that access last?

This is important to tell my friends so that they know what they are doing when they copy the url for others.

I have searched for the answer and cannot find it. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    marieboyer wrote:
    I have a "friends" category with multiple galleries that all have one password. If someone gives a person the url from one of the galleries within that category, I know that that person would then have access to each gallery with the same password. But how long does that access last?

This is important to tell my friends so that they know what they are doing when they copy the url for others.

I have searched for the answer and cannot find it. Thanks in advance.

They will only have access if they have the password - the url alone won't give them access.

The cookie lasts a week, but I'll double check on that.
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Andy: Thanks so much. You are great. I cannot thank you enough.

I cut and pasted this from the help page:
    "Your visitors cannot see a private gallery unless you have given them its Internet address (URL)."

Now, that line is cut and pasted from the "private" (versus "password-protected") gallery description. I still have not really figured out how "private" is different from "password-protected" (although I know "private" is harder for friends to find, so that is the reason I have chosen "password-protected").

So, is the url the only way someone can get access to a "private" gallery, whereas a password-protected gallery always requires the password?

Thanks for clarity on this! Much appreciated!
    edited May 3, 2006
    marieboyer wrote:
    Andy: Thanks so much. You are great. I cannot thank you enough.

I cut and pasted this from the help page:
    "Your visitors cannot see a private gallery unless you have given them its Internet address (URL)."

Now, that line is cut and pasted from the "private" (versus "password-protected") gallery description. I still have not really figured out how "private" is different from "password-protected" (although I know "private" is harder for friends to find, so that is the reason I have chosen "password-protected").

So, is the url the only way someone can get access to a "private" gallery, whereas a password-protected gallery always requires the password?

Thanks for clarity on this! Much appreciated!

Hi Marie,

"Private" means it won't show on your homepage. Only people with a URL will get to it easily.

"Passworded" means it has a lock - it can be public, or private, but they need the PW to get in.

Better? ear.gif
  • marieboyermarieboyer Registered Users Posts: 117 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Got it. Thanks Andy.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    edited May 7, 2006

BTW I was wrong, the cookie is 24hrs.