Options

The Wedding Photographer

saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
edited May 6, 2006 in Weddings
Went to an outdoor wedding and reception Saturday for the son of my best friend. It was held at a beautiful, old Victorian estate. I didn't know most of the guests, except the family who were busy and involved with the wedding. I always bring a camera and that day was no exception. I don't have a flash, and the lighting kept changing. I had read a thread about exposing to the "right". So armed with my sunny 16 rules and watching my histogram after every shot, I came away with a pretty decent bunch of shots! I was genuinely surprised and pleased! I mostly shot candid, trying to stay out of the way of the hired photographers. One of them did come up and "admire" my Canon (He was a Nikon user and admitted he hoped to default!!) I am now using RAW and loving it. I converted a lot to black and white and they are my favorite shots, though the color was beautiful as well. Here are a few of my favorites. How do you think I did??? Comments and advice welcome!

67584212-L.jpg

67584210-L.jpg

67585443-L.jpg

67584199-L.jpg

67587661-L.jpg

67584208-L.jpg

67586324-L.jpg

67584221-L.jpg

67562445-L.jpg

67584215-L.jpg

67584223-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    I think you did a fabulous job. I like the shot of the couple sitting in front of the bride and groom dancing.
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Very nice
    What a pretty place for a wedding!

I love the cake table decoration, so pretty and elegant.

But as an accessory I must admit I've fallen in love with this glass (or is it a vase?).

67584223-Th.jpg

I'm sure your photos will be a welcome addition. Oh, and I agree the couple watching the bride and groom dancing is exquisite! I also liked the photographer sitting down with -- is that a lightsphere? -- attached to the flash. I was a little surprised that the flash wasn't on a bracket though.
  • Options
    ellepixelsellepixels Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2006
    Dee wrote:

But as an accessory I must admit I've fallen in love with this glass (or is it a vase?).

67584223-Th.jpg

I'm sure your photos will be a welcome addition. Oh, and I agree the couple watching the bride and groom dancing is exquisite! I also liked the photographer sitting down with -- is that a lightsphere? -- attached to the flash. I was a little surprised that the flash wasn't on a bracket though.

Your wedding pictures are simply breath taking! I say well donethumb.gif
    Lost in Smugmug world.
    visit my website. feel free to sign the guestbook to le me know you dropped by-
    http://www.tanyadelnegro.com
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    gluwater wrote:
    I think you did a fabulous job. I like the shot of the couple sitting in front of the bride and groom dancing.
    Thank you, Nick! I love this shot, especially because I know the couple and they have only been married a few years and are a really neat couple, and obviously, a couple of love-bugs!
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,825 moderator
    edited May 3, 2006
    Saurora,

I love the timing and composition. Exposure looks good. The color shot of the B&G could have used a little fill. The other shots are very well done and look natural.

Great shots and it looks like there was lots of fun to be had.

Thanks for sharing these with us,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2006
    Dee wrote:

67584223-Th.jpg

Thanks, Dee! The glass vessel you admire is actually a candle holder. At least that's what they used them for later when the sun went down. The photographer sitting on the cement (ouch!) was shooting mostly candid, dance, and ceremony shots. I believe there were 2 photographers, one was a gal who was shooting the more posed shots. This fellow has not been shooting professionally for very long and is longing for new equipment.
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Saurora,

I love the timing and composition. Exposure looks good. The color shot of the B&G could have used a little fill. The other shots are very well done and look natural.

Great shots and it looks like there was lots of fun to be had.

Thanks for sharing these with us,

ziggy53
    Hi Ziggy, thanks for your honest comments. I wasn't quick enough when the B&G walked by to think of using my pop-up for fill which was all I had. I knew lack of a flash was not great for wedding photography, especially in the shady/sunny light. But I was mainly shooting for fun (and experience) and did get quite a few good shots of the family and guest. Left the B&G up to the professionals!
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Decided to take the time to edit out the trees growing out of everyone's head in this shot. Also fixed the slipping bra straps. Decided to convert to B&W after cleaning up the shot. Looks better this time...probably still room for improvement. It's a special shot. The man in the foreground is the groom's "Big Brother" and has helped raise this young man who has never known his father. I know it's a shot the family will treasure.

67728880-L.jpg

67728877-L.jpg
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    I love your shots Saurora... I am a sucker for unposed pictures, and you have plenty of those. I would say that your exposure at this time is better then mine. I am still struggling with it. I often don't trust the camera, and then start fiddling with it, to come out in the end with shots as if you don't trust the camera...
    I would love to have you as guest on my party if you take shots like those!
  • Options
    MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Great pictures! I like the B/W flowers best because it can sort of represent this event. (Bear with me as I go deep) The bouquet is extravagant but temporary and the planted flowers are beautiful and longlived. Wedding - marriage.

I thought the one with the placementcard was funny because I read "Damn Guest". rolleyes1.gif

Malte
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    15524779-Ti.gif You did a great job on these
    All very nice they were lucky to have you there

Thanks
    Fred
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    photocat wrote:
    I love your shots Saurora... I am a sucker for unposed pictures, and you have plenty of those. I would say that your exposure at this time is better then mine. I am still struggling with it. I often don't trust the camera, and then start fiddling with it, to come out in the end with shots as if you don't trust the camera...
    I would love to have you as guest on my party if you take shots like those!

Thanks, Cat! I am a sucker for un-posed shots as well, and yours are some of the best I've seen! I worked on getting the exposures...but I'm still not sure (confident) about how I did it???!!! It's getting better though! Hard to concentrate on all the details at once...I don't multi-task well.
  • Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nice job Susan. You're a brave photog. I shot a wedding ONCE....only ONCE. rolleyes1.gif:D
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    dancinkatedancinkate Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Wow.......great job!

67728877-S.jpg
    This one is hands down my favorite. They're going to LOVE these! Girl, I'm really impressed if you were just shooting these "for fun and experience".
  • Options
    ErikAllasErikAllas Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Those are all really great shots! I'm doing candid's at my friends wedding comming up. I'm making mental notes from your shots!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Great pictures! I like the B/W flowers best because it can sort of represent this event. (Bear with me as I go deep) The bouquet is extravagant but temporary and the planted flowers are beautiful and longlived. Wedding - marriage.

I thought the one with the placementcard was funny because I read "Damn Guest". rolleyes1.gif

Malte

Thanks Malte....I, too, thought the placement card said "Damn Guest", it actually was Damon! I like your analogy of the longlived flowers/wedding/marriage....at least we hope it is long-lived!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nice job Susan. You're a brave photog. I shot a wedding ONCE....only ONCE. rolleyes1.gif:D

It wasn't tough, Mike...I wasn't the official photog!!! Hey....you've shot one wedding and I've shot one bird!!!! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nice photos i wish they live with all happiness and joy iloveyou.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    USAIR wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif You did a great job on these
    All very nice they were lucky to have you there

Thanks
    Fred

Thank you, Fred for taking the time to view these and leaving such a kind comment!
  • Options
    SushantSushant Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Saurora,

All the shots are great. Great capture of the bride and groom at the cake.
    The 4th shot, of the table setting, I find particularly nice.
    - Sushant

http://sushant.smugmug.com
    sony dsc-v3, p200, toshiba pdr-3300, canon xt-350d
  • Options
    edited May 6, 2006
    dancinkate wrote:
    Wow.......great job!

67728877-S.jpg
    This one is hands down my favorite. They're going to LOVE these! Girl, I'm really impressed if you were just shooting these "for fun and experience".

Thank you DancinKate!!!! Your high compliments are very much appreciated. iloveyou.gif