Tax Form

Bd PhotoBd Photo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited May 5, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I am looking into getting a SumgMug account and im only 17 years old. Is this a Problem? I have paypal money and a parents credit card to use to sign uo. im concerned about the w9 tax form. Do i need to be 18 to fill this out? and do they automaticaly take the tax money or do i have to report to the IRS how much I have made and then They take money out?

Im trying to get into teh photography buisness at an early age, but its harder than it seems and smugmug just seemed like a live saver, till i saw that daum form. :D

thanks in advance.

Comments

• jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    W9 needed to recieve sales profits from smugmug
    Bd Photo wrote:
    I am looking into getting a SumgMug account and im only 17 years old. Is this a Problem? I have paypal money and a parents credit card to use to sign uo. im concerned about the w9 tax form. Do i need to be 18 to fill this out? and do they automaticaly take the tax money or do i have to report to the IRS how much I have made and then They take money out?

Im trying to get into teh photography buisness at an early age, but its harder than it seems and smugmug just seemed like a live saver, till i saw that daum form. :D

thanks in advance.
    You only need the W9 tax form if you sign up for a pro account and you want to sell prints. You can get a pro account without the W9, but you won't be able to get a sales profit check from smumug until you file the W9.

Smugmug doesn't accept paypal so you'll have to use a credit card.

If there are any other options available to you, I presume someone from smugmug will add that option.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    Bd Photo wrote:

thanks in advance.

Hello BD, I think I've answered you on Dpreview, also, yes? :D

Anyhow, you must fill out the form. We do not take any tax money out of your pro profits, we only report the amount of money you earned to the IRS. Then, you prepare your own income taxes and account for this income, and any potential tax due.

Holler back here with any questions wave.gif
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    There should be no problem with you only being 17. The IRS is still happy to take your money.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Bd PhotoBd Photo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited May 5, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    There should be no problem with you only being 17. The IRS is still happy to take your money.
    haha im sure of that. after all THE IRS does spell THEIRS right? I think i will talk this over with my parents, cause I obvioulsy dont know anything about taxes. it just seems like a real hassle to get an accountant to do them. what would happen if I did not turn it in?
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    You just can't get a profit check
    Bd Photo wrote:
    haha im sure of that. after all THE IRS does spell THEIRS right? I think i will talk this over with my parents, cause I obvioulsy dont know anything about taxes. it just seems like a real hassle to get an accountant to do them. what would happen if I did not turn it in?
    I don't know if this is their official policy or not, but I can tell you my experience. At the risk of telling on myself, I have two pro accounts and have not turned my tax form in for either. As best I can tell, the only issue with not turning in the tax form is that you can't get a profit check from photo sales until you turn in the form. You can sell photos and Smugmug will accumulate the profits for you, but probably won't send you a check. I've been able to use all the other capabilities of the pro account.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question