Options

Networking

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited May 5, 2006 in Mind Your Own Business
In photography, sales, computers, any business at all, networking is one of the most efficient ways to get new business, extend existing one or simply keep in touch with old pals.

I was just introduced to one of the online tools that seem to do a great job in this respect. It's nice looking, fast, and, most important, free. I spent just a few minutes configuring my profile, and that was basically it. By the end of the day I hooked up with people I haven't seen in years (but I'd love to:-).
By no means a replacement to this or other forums, it's one of those tools that take just a few minutes to set up, but can suddenly bring you a joy of an old friend or a new partner:-)

Try it for yourself: www.linkedin.com
Some of my friends, as it turned out, used it for years, they said there was no spam whatsoever coming from it.

And if you do decide to join - look me up:-)

HTH
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• Options
    JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    I tried to link to you, but it tells me I need to know your email address to link. I just clicked the "get introduced" button, you you might see something.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    edited May 4, 2006
    Jim,
    JimM wrote:
    I tried to link to you, but it tells me I need to know your email address to link. I just clicked the "get introduced" button, you you might see something.
    I didn't get any requests :-( ne_nau.gif

Try to connect to me via email: linkedin at photosocal dot com.

And you need to sigh up first...
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    I just sent it. Just so you know, I don't use LinkedIn much though.... maybe will more over time.
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    JimM wrote:
    I don't use LinkedIn much though.... maybe will more over time.

Likewise, but here I am.
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Gotcha! :-)
    StevenV wrote:
    Likewise, but here I am.

Jim, Steven - you're inclap.gif
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    it'd be nice if they allowed us to have more than one "current position;" I'd like to list both my "real" job and my "semi-pro" photography.
    ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    They do
    StevenV wrote:
    it'd be nice if they allowed us to have more than one "current position;" I'd like to list both my "real" job and my "semi-pro" photography.
    ne_nau.gif
    Look at my my profile, I have two:-)

Just click on Add position, and check the "current" check box :):
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nikolail, I just requested that you link Steven to me as well. This is an interesting concept. Looks like we are all in the computer biz.

• Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Jim,
    JimM wrote:
    Nikolail, I just requested that you link Steven to me as well. This is an interesting concept. Looks like we are all in the computer biz.

Forwarded:-)

Yeah, it was really interesting to see that we hooked up as photographers only to find out we all are S/W guys rolleyes1.gif

Funny - I found a guy we shared a flat in Holland 8 years ago only one hop away via a totally random person whom I only know online, but also for about 6-7 years..:):
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    I also joined Nik's network. Let's see how this develops.
    Nik, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    I didn't get any requests :-( ne_nau.gif

Try to connect to me via email: linkedin at photosocal dot com.

And you need to sigh up first...

Just sent my invite to your account at 'linkedin at photosocal dot com'. :D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    How cool is that
    Just sent my invite to your account at 'linkedin at photosocal dot com'. :D

Are all photogs also computer geeks? ;-) Does it come in a package?:):

Come on in, guys, join the crowd, it's fun! iloveyou.gif
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    Sebastian,
    I also joined Nik's network. Let's see how this develops.
    Nik, thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Sebastian

You're absolutely welcome! thumb.gif
  • Options
    flyingdutchieflyingdutchie Registered Users Posts: 1,286 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Nikolai wrote:
    Are all photogs also computer geeks? ;-) Does it come in a package?:):

Come on in, guys, join the crowd, it's fun! iloveyou.gif

I don't think that's the case, but i do think that the ones frequenting this board (and other online stuff) could have a high percentage of 'geeks' :D
    I can't grasp the notion of time.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
    in two billion years,
    all I can think is:
        "Will that be on a Monday?"
    ==========================
    http://www.streetsofboston.com
    http://blog.antonspaans.com
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    I've been "IN" for... don't know, over a year now? I've gotten one decent connection from it, and one bogus job offer. Other than those, which came directly to my inbox, whenever I logon, it kinda confuses the heck out of me.

headscratch.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    I've been "IN" for... don't know, over a year now? I've gotten one decent connection from it, and one bogus job offer. Other than those, which came directly to my inbox, whenever I logon, it kinda confuses the heck out of me.

headscratch.gif
    I think the way to go is what Nik now started - the networking with people you know and through that your overall network growths immensly. Even though I've got only 3 direct connections my 3rd degree network already consists of 3000+ people. eek7.gif That means if I understood it correctly that if one of those 3000 people searchs for anything I could show up as one of the first search results in their network. mwink.gif
    Also endorsements from people you've worked with should help in getting you up in search results of other people.

Sebastian

PS: Yes, the whole site is really confusing in the beginning, but I think I've got a bit of an overview of what this all means.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2006
    I think Sebastian is right
    I think the way to go is what Nik now started - the networking with people you know and through that your overall network growths immensly. Even though I've got only 3 direct connections my 3rd degree network already consists of 3000+ people. eek7.gif That means if I understood it correctly that if one of those 3000 people searchs for anything I could show up as one of the first search results in their network. mwink.gif
    Also endorsements from people you've worked with should help in getting you up in search results of other people.

Sebastian

PS: Yes, the whole site is really confusing in the beginning, but I think I've got a bit of an overview of what this all means.

This networking thing really shines if you start thinking "out ouf your cubicle". How would I know otherwise that there is such a high percentage of IT guys here, in photo-pforum? Or in my fencing club?
    It's a great reflection of life, as well as great place to find old friends and basically "keep in touch". I really enjoy it thus far...thumb.gif

And photographically speaking - would you like your customers to endorse your work as a photographer? mwink.gif Can be useful afterall, neh?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    I think everyone understands networking - damn sure I do, pretty much a given for any academic - I just have issues with their website, that's all.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]