Options

WTB: Nikkor 50mm 1.4 or 1.8

LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
edited May 11, 2006 in Flea Market
I have a budget max of $70-80 with shipping. This thread is a request to buy, but I'd be happy to get a reality check on the market status.

Used is okay and it can be an 'older' model, but I'd probably want AF. Also, wear and tear hopefully would be minimal--hopefully, non-existent on the rear element.

Anyone have an extra? Anyone have an idea on what my chances are of finding something?

(and yes, I have perused eBay... I'd rather buy here, plus, I'd like to get more knowledge on the subject before going through eBay-if that route is necessary)

thanks,
Rich
We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
... come along.

Comments

• Options
    ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Just a thought on market, I'm not selling right now. :D

I bought a 50mm manual focus (and oooold) f1.4 used locally for about $60 usd. Tack sharp and a great lens. I also bought it with three other fast primes that day, and was given a bit of a deal for it. IIRC, it was priced around $80 or $90 beforehand. Which was still very fair.

Not implying you'll not find an AF in your price range, just trying to add to your general market knowledge. Hope you find one though, it's a wonderfull lens to have. thumb.gif (If you can live with f1.8mwink.gif)
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Options
    zigzagzigzag Registered Users Posts: 196 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    I'd have to agree your chances of getting an AF one in good condition for $80 are slim. The AF-D ones are several times that even used.
  • Options
    gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    manual lense heaven at keh
    if you can live with manual focus you will find some great lenses at
    http://www.keh.com
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    market check: yes, you are high! or rather, low lol3.gif

$70-80 is the going price for the AF-D f/1.8 version - used. Just got mine a few months ago.

Unless, as mentioned already, you're looking for an older manual focus. The 55/1.2 is a great lens, just make sure it's AI'd already. These can often be found on FM and ebay for your price range.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    thanks for the info, advice, links all... very helpful

one thing i'm not clear on: is there a 1.4 AF-x (as in, an AF that is not an AF-D); something that is auto-focus but not as expensive because it's a less advanced model?

if not, then I think i'd go with a manual focus... are there any advantages to manual focus that I might be overlooking or that are not commonly known? (ala--an amateur like myself thought why get a fixed lens when there are zoom lenses? until I purchased two zoom lenses and discovered fixed focal length lenses tend to take better pics per $ spent)
    ... come along.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Rich... for your budget, I think a MF 50/1.4 might be had. On the other side... an AF 50/1.4D will run more like $125-175, pending a number of factors. An AF 50/1.8 may be within your price range.

So, are you looking for AF or MF?
  • Options
    edited May 8, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    thanks for the info, advice, links all... very helpful

one thing i'm not clear on: is there a 1.4 AF-x (as in, an AF that is not an AF-D); something that is auto-focus but not as expensive because it's a less advanced model?
    No.

The "less expensive" version is the f/1.8. If there is not a very specific need you can justify for a f/1.4, the 1.8 is probably your best bet. I'm guessing you have a newer Nikon body - in which case you'll get better results from an AF lens, even if it isn't quite as fast as the 1.4.

BTW, this thread is about a post away from being moved to the gear forum.
    Erik

• Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    BTW, this thread is about a post away from being moved to the gear forum.

Also looking for used 50mm 1.8 AF in good condition!!

(thx for advice... thread now dedicated to purchase request :D)
    ... come along.
  • Options
    edited May 9, 2006
    updated your thread title for you thumb.gif
    Erik

• Options
    Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Here is a used 1.8 for $64
    Adorama seems to have a 50MM 1.8 for $64 used. They have a few others for a bit more.