Dirty

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in Cameras
I saw a thread about checking to see if your sensor needs cleaning. I took a picture of the sky at F22, 1\30sec; ISO 100 with my 50mm 1.8. For the most part, the sky was pretty clear.

I then went into Photoshop and ran auto levels. Attached is the outcome. As you can see, there are some spots. So, I went inside to look at the sesor. I could not see anything. I would test another lens; however, I sent it off to get it repaired. Is it possible that I am seeing junk on the sensor although I can't see it with the naked eye? I should also say that I don't notice the spots in my pictures.

Also, what is the big dark area on the left?
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    You need to clean your sensor, read thru this post and follow the instructions:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=8350&highlight=sensor+cleaning
  • FatNakedGuyFatNakedGuy Registered Users Posts: 116 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    yep! and don't worry about it bro, just dive in and do it. Piece of cake with that Copperhill method.
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Will it get that big dark spot on the left of the image? I thought maybe it was that particular picture; however, it is found in all my sky shots.

Regardless, I will clean it. Just wondering what that dark area is. ne_nau.gif
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    Will it get that big dark spot on the left of the image? I thought maybe it was that particular picture; however, it is found in all my sky shots.

Regardless, I will clean it. Just wondering what that dark area is. ne_nau.gif

Anybody?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    I just got a Carson Lenspen Mini Pro from a nature site and its been the best cleaning tool I've ever had for sensors. About 2 minutes and a white wall shot showed it perfectly clean. I just tossed everything else I had. I used it with a pecpad to clean the excess carbon off. I think I paid 12 bux for it :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Bob Bell wrote:
    I just got a Carson Lenspen Mini Pro from a nature site and its been the best cleaning tool I've ever had for sensors. About 2 minutes and a white wall shot showed it perfectly clean. I just tossed everything else I had. I used it with a pecpad to clean the excess carbon off. I think I paid 12 bux for it :)

Please post the site it was purchased from. :D
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Okay everyone you can chime in all at once....."Art, Google is your friend!!!" ......

rolleyes1.gif

It is so much easier to always ask where or whatever .....even tho there is this powerful tool sitting there at the top o'mypage just waiting for a cut and paste......

I knew I had seen that little bugger somewhere....on a hunting optics site,,,,..

here actually:

http://www.optics4hunting.com/products/Carson_Optical_LensPen_MiniPro_5881.html

close to same price as Bob quoted.....We are now in business.............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website