Pinhole image

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
edited May 7, 2006 in Holy Macro
This is the first pinhole image I have made that I kinda think has a nice "feel" about it.
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    i like it
    i like it ziggy-looks like an airbrushed painting-all good fun

what did you use as your pinhole camera? I have seen a technique which uses a pierced lenscap.
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    Hi Greg,

The pinhole (about 5 years old) is a piece of aluminum printing plate, dimpled (with a "hand graded" sewing needle) on one side and then the other, back and forth from one side to the other, all the while rotating the needle. After enough cycles, the aluminum becomes thin in that one spot and mushes up the aluminum around the spot. You use a very fine sandpaper to remove the high parts and continue the operation until you achieve a hole. (A piece of aluminum soda can also works well.)

After you drill a suitable sized hole, and you use the sandpaper for the last time, you need to coat the hole periphery. I used a black marker pen this time, but I have also used lampblack from a "detuned" oil lamp. (The lamp is set with the wick high, which produces soot, which is lampblack. You simply hold the aluminum plate over the sooty flame until coated lightly. A candle can also work.) I used the marker this time because I wanted a more durable pinhole.

I cut the hole from the sheet and mounted the pinhole onto an M42 extension tube, which allows me to add additional tubes, increasing the length (and focal length) as necessary.

This was shot using a short stack for 30 seconds exposure. I did use a kind of "lens" with this shot as well, but I'll explain later.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    you cunstructed your own camera !! wow
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Almost a 'cartoon' style with that tree standing 3D like that (to me anyway) Here are some of mine if you are interested. Pinholes are as raw as photography can get.
    edited May 5, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... I did use a kind of "lens" with this shot as well, but I'll explain later.

Thanks,

ziggy53

OK, the "lens" I used was an FD to EOS adapter behind the pinhole. The reason I used it was to compensate for some of the rectilinear distortion typical with pinhole images at short lengths.

I think it worked rather well, while preserving most of the desirable qualities of a pinhole lens.

Just an experiment that worked fairly well (instead of the usual results common to my "experiments".)

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited May 5, 2006
    you cunstructed your own camera !! wow

Just the "frontend". Canon did the rest (dRebel XT body).

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    edited May 5, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Almost a 'cartoon' style with that tree standing 3D like that (to me anyway) Here are some of mine if you are interested. Pinholes are as raw as photography can get.

The light was pretty low angle, but hadn't changed color yet.

I love looking at other people's work with pinhole, and I particularly like your motorcycle shots.

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    blurry suburbs
    thanks for the explanation-a shot of some people in front of their house and next to their car in the driveway would look good usiing this technique-how about setting it up?

greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.