Options

re/size for posting???

jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
edited October 26, 2004 in Technique
What is the best way to resize photo for posting [challenge] I have tried 760x505 = 131 793x485=198 750x499 = 146 ?????????/ how that worked I have no idea please help
Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 25, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    What is the best way to resize photo for posting [challenge] I have tried 760x505 = 131 793x485=198 750x499 = 146 ?????????/ how that worked I have no idea please help
    The very best and easiest way is to open a smugmug account, and then when you link your image,, smugmug resizes it for you automatically. thumb.gif

OR.... in your image editing program go to Image size command and set the long side of the image to a maximum of 800 pixels - the other dimension will be automatically set in most software like Photoshop or PS Elements.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    The very best and easiest way is to open a smugmug account, and then when you link your image,, smugmug resizes it for you automatically. thumb.gif

OR.... in your image editing program go to Image size command and set the long side of the image to a maximum of 800 pixels - the other dimension will be automatically set in most software like Photoshop or PS Elements.
    jwear wrote:
    i tried and tried it is now 628x418 and posted i am waiting for elements 3 and will smug when i start getting shots i like so far not happy with my work new d70 its in shop more than in my hand 3 months thank you for the help .I will post 3 pics for ghost town trip .the challenge shot! on resize does not look sharp like it does before post resize ??ne_nau.gif thank you path
    Jeff W

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    jwear wrote:
    jwear wrote:
    i tried and tried it is now 628x418 and posted i am waiting for elements 3 and will smug when i start getting shots i like so far not happy with my work new d70 its in shop more than in my hand 3 months thank you for the help .I will post 3 pics for ghost town trip .the challenge shot! on resize does not look sharp like it does before post resize ??ne_nau.gif thank you path

You did not say what your image editing program is - but if you are using PS or PS Elements when you downsize your image you have the option of selecting Bicubic Sharpening which is what you want to prevent the loss of sharpness you are describing. When you upsize you want Bicubic Smoothing. Do not check resampling for downsizing - it is not needed. I hope this all makes sense to you.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the D70. I left the dark side last year and joined forces with the white lens ( Canon ) crowd...... clap.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2004
    pathfinder wrote:
    You did not say what your image editing program is - but if you are using PS or PS Elements when you downsize your image you have the option of selecting Bicubic Sharpening which is what you want to prevent the loss of sharpness you are describing. When you upsize you want Bicubic Smoothing. Do not check resampling for downsizing - it is not needed. I hope this all makes sense to you.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the D70. I left the dark side last year and joined forces with the white lens ( Canon ) crowd...... clap.gif
    JWEAR wrote:
    IT IS MICROSOFT DIG.IMAGE9 NOT GOOD waiting for elements i understand what you are saying and will try that after elements gets here ? nikon has been a real challenge .i came close to selling and taking the loss but whats life with aggravation .If you look that word up is meens nikon d70 .I think canon was the right move but starting school and we will see what i can do with it. or we will see it for sale:puke1 thanks again jeff [/quote/]
    Jeff W