Your advice-RAW Shooter vs. PS CS2

gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in Finishing School
Fellow photographers, I need your advice. Currently I use Photoshop Elements 4, which has about 75% of PS CS2's components, from what I have read. I am debating whether to purchase Photoshop CS2 or to keep using PSE 4 but purchase a RAW processing package, such as RAW Shooter Premium. From what I understand, Photoshop CS2's RAW processing add-in is relatively good, but the RAW Shooter package allows you to manipulate the data and change the RAW file while keeping the original, unmanipulated RAW data as well.

Currently I shoot in RAW + JPEG, and I mainly modify the JPEG copy. As I learn more about RAW and the advantages of working with RAW files, I shall probably begin working more with them.

Your comments and suggestions, please.
Gil

Comments

• silicasilica Registered Users Posts: 89 Big grins
    edited May 4, 2006
    gildco wrote:
    From what I understand, Photoshop CS2's RAW processing add-in is relatively good

"relatively good"? Photoshop CS2's RAW conversion capabilities are excellent. Photoshop will store your RAW files unchanged and keep any modifications to the RAW file in a database or separate sidecar file. In addition, Photoshop has many, many features for photo manipulation and editing that are missing from other programs. There are a plethora of tutorials and free add-ins for PS on the web. If all you want is a RAW converter, there are many. When you buy Photoshop, you are getting a swiss army knife for photo work.
  • gildcogildco Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Thank you.
    silica wrote:
    "relatively good"? Photoshop CS2's RAW conversion capabilities are excellent. Photoshop will store your RAW files unchanged and keep any modifications to the RAW file in a database or separate sidecar file. In addition, Photoshop has many, many features for photo manipulation and editing that are missing from other programs. There are a plethora of tutorials and free add-ins for PS on the web. If all you want is a RAW converter, there are many. When you buy Photoshop, you are getting a swiss army knife for photo work.

I appreciate your detailed argument for Photoshop. What you say about RAW converters is indeed true, from my limited experience (my Canon came with one). My inclination is to go with the Cadillac of the digital imaging processors, which is PS CS2. Thanks again for taking the time to respond.
    Gil
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    I'll probably upset some folks here, but I would spec PE4 at only about 20% of the potential possiblities of PSCS2 - or less.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited May 6, 2006
    Thanks for the input.
    pathfinder wrote:
    I'll probably upset some folks here, but I would spec PE4 at only about 20% of the potential possiblities of PSCS2 - or less.

Thanks for the input, Pathfinder. My decision is to go for PS CS2. Why settle for teasers when you can get the full Monty? :D I already have experienced some of the limitations of PSE 4 (no "curves").
    Gil
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    You could download a trial version of cs2 and try before you buy.
    edited May 9, 2006
    Seamus wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion. I shall do so.
    Gil
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Seamus

gildco wrote:
    Thanks for the suggestion. I shall do so.

Be sure and get the ACR plugin also....or does CS2 have the raw converters already installed....I know my CS did not.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    I prefer RSP for my raw processing -- and I do have Photoshop CS2. I'd reccomend CS2 for a lot of OTHER reasons -- in addition to it having a very nice raw converter.

As an event shooter, I process hundreds to over a thousand photos at a time. The speed of RawShooter Premium for this is a big reason I like it.

But if I could only have one or the other -- I'd pick CS2.

Lee