Options

Think I scored and Found

Desert RatDesert Rat Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
edited May 6, 2006 in Wildlife
Some Ruddy Turnstones in Breeding Plumage....
Wednesday I took off half a day (they owed me) and went down the coast for shorebirds.. Spent about 5 hours there but got some pretty quality images..

Had to take my time in approaching the birds since they were pretty skittish, but if you were patient you could approach to within 50ft-75ft.. You really had to work for the images at this location..Not a easy place, but has a lot of potential if you are patient and willing to get a little dirty and move slowly and be very patient.

I was about to give up for the day when I was shooting a Whimberel and turned around and found these little guys.. They are almost 100% turned into their breeding colors.

I did use fill flash, but it was a bit grey and overcast and I did not have the Better Beamer on the strobe.. ( I had taken it off earlier since I did not need it at the time...) never put it back on.. It would have helped out quite a bit from what I can tell...
Tech
D2x
200-400
TC14E II
ISO 640
SB-800

140884802_aa909f20ca_o.jpg

140884803_395a6c1f98_o.jpg

140884805_1623ec53fc_o.jpg

140884806_2d6a365a6d_o.jpg
Eric the Desert Rat :scratch
Los Angeles, CA :yikes

You can check out my ongoing website at the following http://www.pbase.com/desertrat99

Photography isn't about the Zone System or any other Ansel Adams nonsense.
It's simply about seeing. You either see or you don't see, the rest is
academic.
~ Elliot Erwitt ~

Comments

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Really good set Eric. Love that last shot. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    gluwatergluwater Registered Users Posts: 3,599 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Those are just beautiful Eric. Great find and capture. Here is a shot of a Rudy Turnstone in it's winter plumage just to get an idea of what a change their breeding plumage is.

58617948-M.jpg
    Nick
    SmugMug Technical Account Manager
    Travel = good. Woo, shooting!
    nickwphoto