50mm Nikkor

Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
edited May 5, 2006 in Cameras
Is the Nikkor 50mm F1.8D lens a good one? Is it better than my Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC. I finally sold my Quantaray 70-300mm on consignment and now I have some extra cash to buy a better piece of glass, since half my shots with the Sigma 18-50mm are fuzzy. If I get any new lens, I'll sale the Sigma, too. Because I hear that the lower the aperture number, the clearer the pictures will be. Heck, ya know I wouldn't know anything about that stuff.:rofl Not yet anyway.:D
http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
Camera: Nikon D50
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    Primes are always going to be more sharp than a zoom - especially that consumer grade 18-50. If you had the 18-50/2.8 it'd be a different story - that particular zoom rivals my 50/1.8D for sure.

50/1.8 is a good one to have - great bang for the buck. Definitely won't find a sharper sub $100 lens.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Zoom RaiderZoom Raider Registered Users Posts: 317 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Primes are always going to be more sharp than a zoom - especially that consumer grade 18-50. If you had the 18-50/2.8 it'd be a different story - that particular zoom rivals my 50/1.8D for sure.

50/1.8 is a good one to have - great bang for the buck. Definitely won't find a sharper sub $100 lens.

Thanks, Doc!

I can't find it less than $119 in town. I have a seminar again this evening to go to, not that they'll have any artifacts again, but they might. Just want some sharp shots. Those photos of the Babylon bricks that I put in here a week ago aren't good, but at least I have pictures of some rock-record history.

My best shot ever was that photo of the yellow Daylily that I put in here a few days ago. It was taken with the Sigma 18-50mm. But, I did enhance it a bit with PictureProject. I'm still confounded with PS 7.0.umph.gif
    http://mostamazingprophecies.com

My Gear
    Camera: Nikon D50
    Lens: Sigma 18-50mm F3.5-5.6 DC
    Flash: Nikon SB600 SpeedLight
    Vertical Powergrip: Opteka Platinum Series
    Flash Diffuser: Lightsphere II (Clear)

Teleconverter: Quantaray 2x
    Lens Filters: 2 SunPak UV 58mm

Card: Lexar Platinum II 512mb/60x
    Bag: Canon 200DG

Printer: Canon PIXMA iP6700D

Fisher-Advent Audio
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    You can find great used ones for less than $100. I haven't seen one on our flea market, but you could drop a WTB there (follow the links in my signature).

Or, dare I say it, you could have a look in Fred Miranda's flea market as well - much bigger crowd over there.

But even at the new price, you can't go wrong.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]