Boston Ballet, An Evening of Russian Ballet

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited May 6, 2006 in People
If you live near Boston, I suggest you go see this show. It's only playing through Sunday, so you have to be on your toes, but I think you will find it worthwhile, even if you don't think you like ballet.

67943228-L.jpg
Christopher Budzynski in Gopak from Taras Bulba
Canon 5d with 135 f/2.0
1/250 @ f/2.0
ISO 1600

The first two acts are all classic Russian Ballets, very romantic, very athletic, very ebullient.

67937209-L.jpg
Lorna Feijoo
Canon 5D with 135 f/2.0
1/640 @ f/2.2
ISO 1600

67924572-L.jpg
Tai Jimenez & Yury Yanoswsky in Spring Waters
Canon 5D with 135 f2.0
1/500 @ f/2.0
ISO 1600

I've watched The Dying Swan progress though studio rehearsals. The dancers call it The Dead Duck which I think is probably sour grapes on the part of those who didn't get the role.

67935218-L.jpg
Karine Seneca
Canon 5D with 135 f/2.0
1/100th @ f/2.0
ISO 1000

The final act is also a Russian Ballet, but it's something completely different, Les Noces with music by Igor Stravinsky and choreography by Bronislava Nijinska.

67941168-L.jpg
Canon 5D with 135 f/2.0
1/320 @ f/2.0
ISO 1600

This is an angry ballet first presented by the Ballet Ruse in Paris just after the end of World War I. It portrays a Russian peasant wedding, presumably an arranged and loveless marriage. The music is fantastic, but it must have sounded like noise nearly a century ago. There are 4 pianos, a large chorus, and an orchestra, so there is a lot of sound.

67943110-L.jpg
Canon 5D with 135 f/2.0
1/640 @ f/2.0
ISO 1600

The dancing must have also been challenging to understand when it was first performed. It's definitely classical ballet, but the romance is gone, the technique stylized and almost mechanical. The message is that this marriage is a rite over which the participants have little control. They are trapped in their roles.

67924369-L.jpg
Canon 5D with 70-200 f/2.8L @ 153mm
1/100th @ f/2.8
ISO 1000

The best thing about this program was to see Les Noces set against the background of its tradition. I loved seeing how it broke the rules, back in the days when there still were lots of rules to break.

Anyway, go to this if you can. It's a great introduction to non-Nutcracker ballet.
If not now, when?

Comments

• MarkM6MarkM6 Registered Users Posts: 97 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Awesome shots!
    Wow... unreal! Awesome. I always wanted the 135L
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    Every time you post your ballet photos, I swear these dancers are part cat! Great stuff, as usual.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    This really looks breath-taking and I would definately go to see this after seeing your sneak peak, but too bad I'm on the other side of the world. ne_nau.gif

Spasiba for your presentation,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • vandanavandana Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    You seem to get better everytime with these ballet shots - if there's still room to go ! these are awesome ! Love the last shot, now especially with some more info into it.
    I think # 1 or 2 will be great for the challenge too.

Vandana
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    Here to a guy who really is using the 135L like it was designed for:slurp

These are great stuff, John,

I can see how you are struggling with noise in the darker solid colored areas of the images in some of them. Very dark on stage outside the lights.

I am amazed at how high they can jump from a solid surface. Incredible.

The DOF on the 5th image might have been a little greater - shot at f2, you might have tried f2.8 and got sharper faces in the foreground, even though the emphasis is on the central figure further back. A nit at best though.

I envy your access to this kind of production. Great stuff here for a book:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    It's so fun to watch your photography progress with each new ballet posting. You are really beginning to nail them, Rutt!!! They are just wonderful. Neat to see it on stage after viewing the rehearsals, too. thumb.gif
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited May 5, 2006
    Jeez John! These are fantastic. And you know I'm probably not a ballet
    fan rolleyes1.gif

You've really managed to catch the emotion and athleticism of the
    performance. Your post work is very good as well.

Thanks again for sharing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Wonderful photos, Rutt!

And that last "set", for Les Noces: outstanding, well.........I think that is a ballet I would like!

ginger (wonderful shots, just...........as everyone says!)

But, hey, I think "The Dead Duck" is very apt and would heighten my enjoyment, smile.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 5, 2006
    Thank you, everyone. Pathfinder, you are very right about noise in the dark areas, but I have a new trick, one I invented all by myself.

These images all benefit a lot from being conventionally USM sharpened. It's night and day. Take my word for it. But sharpening ISO 1600 shots with large very dark areas, well, it's a real fight with noise.

So here's what I did with these. I made a duplicate image and converted to CMYK. Then I steepened the curve for the black channel and used Filter: Blur: Surface Blur on it. Meanwhile, back at the original image, I sharpened as usual, but in a duplicate layer. Finally I used the black channel from the duplicate image as a layer mask for the sharpening layer. Look ma, no sharpening noise!
    If not now, when?
  • §imone§imone Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    :heh @ the 'Dead Duck' comment, oh how true. Though fellow dancers acknowledge the principal dancer's technique etc, it can also bring out the worst in some.

I do like the Tai Jimenez & Yury Yanoswsky in Spring Waters shot. For it shows how every muscle in the body works during dance etc.thumb.gif
    Simone

Canon 350D
    Canon EFS 18-55mm kit lens
    Canon 75-300mm

Fuji FinePix S9500 9 Megapixels

Simone's Expressions - Yarn Over Hook

Sometimes we dont do things we want to do so that others will not know we want to do them. - Ivy Walker - The Village

• Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    I am totally
    enthralled... entranced... IMPRESSED!

These are awesome.

Yvette