Options

Calypso

ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
edited October 26, 2004 in People
Just to temper the Rock and Roll thread a bit :D
Only kidding. These are a first for me and I was
surprised how easy it was to just walk up and
start shooting.

Here's one from a Calypso/Steel drum crew, Pankind.
The guy in the pic is Derek Smith who I later learned
has performed with the Humboldt State Calypso Band.

Sweet sound. Now if I could just here "Angelina" one
more time :D

10255451-M.jpg
Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?

Comments

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2004
    Shooting performers on the stage in available light is very challenging. I tried to shoot the local elementary school play for years with middling results. Eventually, I learned how to cheat: I shot the dress rehersal using multiple flashes.

One problem here is the perspective. Shooting upward can yield quite dramatic results, but here it isn't working. Perhaps it would have been better if you were closer. Also, the background is distracting. Open the lens up and blurr the background.

Maybe a tight crop on the drummer could help. Some sort of move to deal with the overexposed face and washed out colors? I don't think this shot can become natural looking. Perhaps it can be made dramatic?
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 26, 2004
    rutt wrote:
    Shooting performers on the stage in available light is very challenging. I tried to shoot the local elementary school play for years with middling results. Eventually, I learned how to cheat: I shot the dress rehersal using multiple flashes.

One problem here is the perspective. Shooting upward can yield quite dramatic results, but here it isn't working. Perhaps it would have been better if you were closer. Also, the background is distracting. Open the lens up and blurr the background.

Maybe a tight crop on the drummer could help. Some sort of move to deal with the overexposed face and washed out colors? I don't think this shot can become natural looking. Perhaps it can be made dramatic?
    Rutt,

Thanks for the feedback. This was incredibly difficult as I have very little experience
    shooting in low light. I'm used to having more control and being able to use tri/monopod.

I'll get out the crop tools tonight and give it a whirl.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?