Images from EOS Viewer Utility Please help

Pam7Pam7 Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited May 9, 2006 in Finishing School
I uploaded some RAW images in the software that came with the 20d (EOS Viewer Utility). The contrast, color, sharpness looked good. Needed to do a little more tweaking (mainly cropping etc) so i opened the same image in Photoshop Elements 4.0. Went thru the RAW converter that pops up in PE 4.0 and the image looked very different. Exposure, contrast was very different. Unchecked all the "Auto Boxes" on the dialogue box, photo still didn't look quite like the RAW image in the "Viewer Utility . It was a little less sharp and a little more flat. I'm assuming because there was some contrast, and sharpening added to the RAW images in the "Viewer Utility".

I went back to the "Viewer Utility", opened the image then saved it as a Tiff file. The image did not look as sharp. I would think they should look the same or am I missing something really basic.

How can I get the same quality of image that I see in the EOS viewer utility to open in photoshop elements 4.0

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Pam

http://Pam7.smugmug.com

Comments

• Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    That's like going to McDonalds for a cheeseburger, then going to Burger King for the same...

It's going to be different because you are using two different programs to interpret the RAW data. You have fallen victim to the fact that there are no standards out there for RAW, both in it's creation and it's editing.

This is one reason that the OpenRAW initiative has been launched. We need some standards, and we need them now!
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie