Ann with Small Tutorial

Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
edited May 6, 2006 in People
Priviet ('Hello' in Russian), dear friends!
Our forum is a place where we learn to make better photos... So many professionals here that I feel myself a bit shy...
Of course, I'm not a teacher - just some steps I make...
So...
B&w out of ordinary shot.

3842.jpg

Just an ordinary girl on the street, watching the rehearsal of the parade on the Victory Day – 9 of May…(military men at our central square).

Her eyes (mainly expression) attracted my attention and I asked her to pose for a shot…
Full zoom with my Sony R1. Asked her to stay a bit sideways with her head turned to me…
Interesting eyes. I decide to make them the center of the composition. I feel some sort of ‘tragedy’ or ‘pain’ in those eyes…
Now I see jpg result – lets use PS.
Need tight cropping with a small turn… Change image size…
Then… some work with the healing brush on her skin – deleting some spots….
I decide that photo will be b&w – her eyes are too green and this bright color draws away my thoughts from their expression…
Some work with eyes – mark them using lasso and right click - ‘copy layer’. New layer has only eyes. Use Soft light as a blending mode and then use white brush on them…. Nice result! Decrease opacity of the ‘eyes’ layer a bit.
Merge layers.
Now to b&w
I use Optikvervelabs – free downloadable plugin for PhotoShop (www.optikvervelabs.com)
‘Film type’ – Film 1 (50)
Slide - 35
‘Photographic style’. Use pale-gray for Picker.
Effect – colorize 0
B&W – cold (a bit)
Now I like the result….

3841.jpg

Spasibo
Yuri

Comments

• minghirminghir Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Very nice portrait and useful tutorial. Thank you Yuri.
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Thanks for the tutorial Yuri, your portraits are masterful. I downloaded Optikvervelabs.

Seamus.
  • USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Very nice tutorial Yuri
    Your portraits are always so beautiful

Thanks
    Fred
  • ridetwistyroadsridetwistyroads Registered Users Posts: 526 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    I downloaded and will enjoy playing with that plug in, Yuri.

As always, absolutely amazing photograph. clap.gif

Thank you for your incredible contributions here, they are truely something to (speaking for myself, anyways) strive towards.
    "There is a place for me somewhere, where I can write and speak much as I think, and make it pay for my living and some besides. Just where this place is I have small idea now, but I am going to find it" Carl Sandburg
  • Shane422Shane422 Registered Users Posts: 460 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    I've admired your magic in many shots. Thanks for the peak "behind the curtain". I will certainly use your technique advice.