This Style

CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
edited May 8, 2006 in People
I was looking for sample shots on PBASE and ran into Mitchell Kanashkevich's gallery. http://www.pbase.com/mitchellk81/india

If you notice his captures, especially the ones in Heart of India, you can see a distinct look to it. I see that he uses the Rebel XT. However, not sure what lens.

Do you think that this shots have been PP? I'm almost guessing they are.

I've seen this style before and I would love to know how to get this look.
Cason

www.casongarner.com

5D MkII | 30D | 50mm f1.8 II | 85mm f1.8 | 24-70mm f2.8
L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | Manfrotto 3021BPRO with 322RC2

Comments

• Yvette MarieYvette Marie Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Hi there,
    I can tell that the eyes are definately photoshopped.. brightened sharpened and then using a low opacity brush, the highlights are brought out through dodging, as are the whites of the eyes. Some of them are really overdone in my opinion.. but thats just me. I feel bad even making that judgement because the photographs are so touching and real and excellently done.

Looks to me that some digital noise has also been added but thats about all I can see. ;o)

HTH
    Yvette
  • CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Bump...

anybody else know this technique?
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• mitchellk81mitchellk81 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited May 8, 2006
    My photos
    Hi, wouldn't it just be easier to email the person who actually took the photos?:)
    I think for most part that "style" you are talking about is simply photos from India or some South East Asian countries. These places are incredibely colourful. Almost surreal.
    Apart from actually having colourful, vivid subjects the first and most important thing is to have dramatic light. Without that "real" light I don't think you can really make an effective image in terms of colour. I am always aware of the light situation. I almost never shoot in bright sunlight or when it is too cloudy and things look too flat. Most of those images were taken at sunrise or sunset or are interior shots with the light being limited. That I would say is the most important thing. The post proccessing can then be used pretty sparingly. I used PS CS2 - colour curves, levels, highlights/shadows quick masks to isolate which portions of the image to adjust. At times I simply isolated the eyes with a quick mask so that the original colour is preserved while I am adjusting the levels on the rest of the image. Other times I did adjust the eyes, at times it may be overdone, but things look different on different monitors so I guess the best indicator would be a printed result. But again one must not underestimate the importance of the right lighting. Those people had incredible eyes which were bright, shiny, blue, green with really white eye whites. The right light simply brings that out. PS can enhance it further.
    Have a look at the photos of Steve Mccurry NatGeo photographer (the afgan girl). The afgan girl's eyes look totally surreal as do many other subjects in his photos, but all that is just good lighting and great subjects.
    A person who I believe may really have some technique behind his photos in Manuel Librodo another photographer on PBase. He has some of the most colourful, vivid images. I believe I have an idea of what he does, but it is better to ask him yourself. I think he has to some extent become a master of postproccesing. Wether for some that is overdoing it is subjective, but there is certainly a distinct look to his images:
    http://www.pbase.com/manny_librodo
    Ok, hope this helps a bit.
    Good luck
    Mitchell

RTP wrote:
    Bump...

• CasonCason Registered Users Posts: 414 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Hi, wouldn't it just be easier to email the person who actually took the photos?:)

HAHA...yes it would, but then there wouldn't be any discussion. I was hoping more and more would chime in.

All in all I, love the look. It's been about 15 years since I've been to Thailand. Looking at these pictures, it takes me back to the times I went there with my mom.

Welcome to DGRIN. I hope you post more!
    Cason

www.casongarner.com

• SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    mitchell-

thanks much for sharing-

really enjoy your photos-

welcome to the forum-

best
    george
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    RTP wrote:
    Bump...

Heaps of strong contrast & saturation it looks to me...& knowing how to see good light always helps.