challenge 64 - Just a singer with the band

twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
edited May 8, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
The Nerds were playing where I work and took some shots for this challenge- thoughts and comments are welcome.

Comments

• twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 6, 2006
    I strongly prefer the first image.

I have two suggestions for yoiur consideration.

One - there is really no color in this image, so drive it to B&W to remove the color and stress the graphic qualities.

Two - I suggest you consider cropping the right half of the image just beyond the singers left ear - there is nothing of interest over there for the viewer , and the bright areas draws the eye away from the singer. The subject is the singer, not the drums behind his left shoulder. I'd even paint the top right corner black after cropping to remove all the high key area to the right that remained.

YMMV of course.:):
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:
    I strongly prefer the first image.

I have two suggestions for yoiur consideration.

One - there is really no color in this image, so drive it to B&W to remove the color and stress the graphic qualities.

Two - I suggest you consider cropping the right half of the image just beyond the singers left ear - there is nothing of interest over there for the viewer , and the bright areas draws the eye away from the singer. The subject is the singer, not the drums behind his left shoulder. I'd even paint the top right corner black after cropping to remove all the high key area to the right that remained.

YMMV of course.:):

ditto clap.gif
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • twinbnjtwinbnj Registered Users Posts: 271 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Thank you I agree with your suggestion - I will convert and crop # 1
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    twinbnj wrote:
    Thank you I agree with your suggestion - I will convert and crop # 1
    I think he ment crop #2, not #1

personally, I love the color in #1... I would like to see a b/w, but I think the atmosphere the yellow 'smoke', etc. creates is tremendous

you would want to get rid of the purple junk in a couple spots though; without that it's an entirely red/orange/yellow tone shot, which is typical for live shows... there's a little bit of blur - sharpening? - but man this is anything but a typical shot... the grit and passion of the whole shot (and red helps to convey this too) is interestingly juxtaposed with the conservative style of the singer's shirt

great work man
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.