Anti Illegal Alien Rally

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in People
Yesterday, and today, there is a anti ellegal alien rally being held in Santa Clara Ca. I went yesterday afternoon to what kind of photos I could get. Not very many people showed up, but some counter demonstraiters came with some , lets say interesting points of view. Here are a few of the photos I got.

First one is part of a veterans memorial that is located on the park grounds where the rally is being held.

Comments

• SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    edited May 6, 2006
    Veteran speaking with the media.
    edited May 6, 2006
    Counter demonstraters, and anarchists.
    edited May 6, 2006
    edited May 6, 2006
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    It's a shame more Americans don't ask that our laws be enforced. I see the signs the counter protesters are holding - a classic leftist tactic - in this case, if you ask that our laws actually be enforced, then you must surely be a racist. Amazing...and what a shame. It's pitiful that these days you can be called racist for simply being a proud American and waving your own country's flag. Unlike some easily duped Americans, I haven't fallen for the propaganda and feel guilty for being proud of my country. Sorry - those people holding the signs implying people like me are racists get under my skin. ;) They abuse their free speech rights by attempting to spread lies about honest, hard working Americans.
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    kygarden wrote:
    I see the signs the counter protesters are holding - a classic leftist tactic - in this case, if you ask that our laws actually be enforced, then you must surely be a racist.
    Without taking a stance on this issue or proclaiming my own political tendencies, I can respectfully point out that you have committed a logical fallacy in your accusation. The logical fallacy itself is one of over-extending and generalizing the claims of the protestors. In this case, the protestor's sign says "smash racism." It may be his point that enforcing the law makes one a racist. It may also be the case that he is pinpointing a particular law or the absence of legislation as the root of racism. Or, he may be making no claim to the enforcement of law whatsoever, and simply wish that racist practices surrounding the immigration issue as a whole be "smashed." Whatever the case may be, I think it is important not to put words in one's opponent's mouths or else we too become guilty of abusing free speech rights. I imagine you feel passionately about the issue and have heard some opposing arguments with which you disagree. It is all to easy to export those opposing arguments to all those who generally oppose your position, but it is more often the case that other individuals have starkly different views-views which may or may not comport with the opposing arguments you have already heard.

Sam, you have some wonderful pictures there. I especially like the first and second photographs, good work clap.gif. (you might consider cropping a bit off the left in the second one - ??)
    We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
    ... come along.
  • R JohnsR Johns Registered Users Posts: 170 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Very insightful, LeDude...thumb.gif

I suppose the bottom line on this topic, is that a stranger would have a better chance of being invited to your barbeque 10944573-Ti.gif, if they approached your home from the front door wave.gif, and asked if they could join the cookoutbeer.gif. Where as, if they just walked into your backyard :tiptoe and started cooking on your grill :eat, with your charcoal, invited their friends friday.gif and left their empties strewn all around blbl.gif, they might not be so welcome :toni.

This topic sure packs some emotion with it :argue, yet one that should be a "no-brainer" nod.gif

Oh, and that first pic with the flag, rocks! ylsuper.gif

Russ
    By Grace, alone...
  • AlonerAloner Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Very powerful pictures, great job! thumb.gif

I don't really want to get into the whole debate about illegal aliens and such, but I will say that the fact they are protesting irks me. I was born in Canada and when I moved here I had to go through so much shit just to get my green card. If the government was to just give the illegal aliens the same rights that I have worked for years to get (and still don't have as much as born Americans) then it would completely discredit everthing i've done to get where I am now! It's like going into a store and stealing a camera (to get it slightly on topic) and then demad the company honors the warranty when it breaks.

Great pics Sam! :D
  • kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    I know for a fact there are racists in this country. The KKK is a perfect example. Louis Farrakhan is another example. I know everyone that protests are not saying everyone else is racists. In this case though, I see a guy with his face covered, wearing a beret and a T-shirt with an assault rifle and interesting text on it and I can't help but believe that person is either misguided or racist himself. Everything about him seems to indicate that he thinks people who are for having laws enforced are nothing more than racists. That's what I find aggravating. Having said that, we have TONS of immigrants working at our company and they've come here legally. The issue is not immigration. The issue is illegal immigration. If there weren't so many, it wouldn't even be a problem and no one would care. But an estimated 7 to 11 million? That's a problem - financially and otherwise. It's interesting that Mexico's president criticizes the U.S. for desiring to have better law enforcement with regard to immigration, when Mexico has much stiffer penalties for illegal immigration. If anyone wonders why a person could be aggravated with this whole situation, look at stories like this: http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/01/10/D8F1LRCO5.html "Mexico Demands U.S. Allow More Immigration" The title says it all. I find it offensive that another country's leadership DEMAND that we follow their desires with regard to immigration.

That's all I'll say about it :) I know it's a touchy/hot topic with some - which is why I try to avoid anything political or religious on 'discussion' forums.
    edited May 7, 2006
    Here are three more photos of the event.
    edited May 7, 2006
    No one knew what the black and red flags represented, even the news person i spoke with, so I asked. This flag stands for anarchy.
    edited May 7, 2006
    Last, she had her talking points down, and was used to doing this.
    edited May 7, 2006
    Event summary: Americans were an older group who's point was immigration is ok, but not illegal imigratation.

The counter protesters point was this (California, and I am not sure where else) is mexico, and the white supremists should all go back to Europe, and there should be no borders or nations, etc. Oh, and it was a great afront for them to have a rally flying the American flag on cinco de mayo.

Note: The police were keeping the two groups apart (not hard considering the age and non violent demeanor of the American group), but I was able with my camera, to walk back and forth between the two groups. The trick is to smile take photos, have a quick chat with the officers, and not engage in debate.

Sam