Pro account question

DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
edited May 8, 2006 in SmugMug Support
so if i got a pro account and decided i wanted my domain name to be www.StandOutPhotography.com all i would have to do is make sure its available and i can use it if i give it to you guys? or do i have to purchase the domain name and then give it to you guys....:dunno

thanks,
Daniel
Daniel Bauer
smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    so if i got a pro account and decided i wanted my domain name to be www.StandOutPhotography.com all i would have to do is make sure its available and i can use it if i give it to you guys? or do i have to purchase the domain name and then give it to you guys....ne_nau.gif

thanks,
    Daniel
    Purchase, Setup CNAME (easy) and put your custom domain in your control panel domain setting.

Piece of cake, Daniel.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 6, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Purchase, Setup CNAME (easy) and put your custom domain in your control panel domain setting.

Piece of cake, Daniel.

thanksthumb.gif i'm seriously considering upgrading.... but all the names i was thinking of are taken....ne_nau.gif any ideas for new names folks?
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    let your imagination do the work.....just try to grab on to something that will reflect you as an artist and remember...just cause someone bought a domain name does not mean they are using it....also a slight change to a domain name (such as a hyphen - ) can some times make all the difference in you getting your name.............. if the registrar your using says it is taken....be sure to go into you address bar and see if it is being used....there are people that just buy up domains for whatever reason......

MYself I am in a dilema as to whether to keep my curren domain name (CONTEMPORARY-VISIONS) or go using my name: ARTHUR-SCOTT......had to hypenate both because they are taken and for a business I will not use a name + number......I would rather use a totally different name.......

For a business name: try to keep it simple and easily remembered and catchy also.....depends also on where you want to go photographically.....

Portraits by Daniel B. , Daniels FineArt Portraits, FineArt Photography by Daniel B. , DAniel B.'s Fine Art Photography.......there is amillion ways to do it......

Lastly...your Domain Name should alsop be the name that goes on a sign if you decide to have an actual brick / mortar studio.......ofcourse minus the dot com.....:D

Good luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• MPerdomoMPerdomo Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    thanksthumb.gif i'm seriously considering upgrading.... but all the names i was thinking of are taken....ne_nau.gif any ideas for new names folks?

Personally, I would just use your name.

One of my pet peeves is when people use some name that is really cliched. It comes off as seriously unprofessional in my eyes.

Notice how very few professional photographers (not counting wedding and event photographers) will use such a name, and opt for using their real name. It's building a brand based on your name. I use my real name for my website, and can only say good things about it. It gets my name out there, and my photos have been popular with a few fans of some bands I have shot, and having my name attached (instead of some anonymous internet moniker) has helped when talking to promotions people, or even just fans at the show.

In summary: Using your name really helps in building a brand.
  • ElysiumElysium Registered Users Posts: 47 Big grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    MPerdomo wrote:

One of my pet peeves is when people use some name that is really cliched. It comes off as seriously unprofessional in my eyes.

Notice how very few professional photographers (not counting wedding and event photographers) will use such a name, and opt for using their real name. It's building a brand based on your name. I use my real name for my website, and can only say good things about it. It gets my name out there, and my photos have been popular with a few fans of some bands I have shot, and having my name attached (instead of some anonymous internet moniker) has helped when talking to promotions people, or even just fans at the show.

I think my gimmick name comes off quite nicely.

www.ultimatefris.be
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Elysium wrote:

www.ultimatefris.be

clap.gifclap.gif I AGREE! Man, that's a great name, love your creativity. But even more important, your frisbee photography is "the ultimate" deal.gif
  • MPerdomoMPerdomo Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Elysium wrote:

www.ultimatefris.be

Sounds deli.cio.usrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    i agree
    MPerdomo wrote:

I started out with dogwooddigital.net (the .com was already taken-- by another smugmugger!). But everybody kept typing .com and getting mixed up and I also found I was having to keyword my name and include my name in my page title 'cause that's what people googled. And for the life of me, I could not get my dogwooddigital to come up on the top of the search engines.

I originally thought people would think I was some fancy pants business and not just a single photographer if I used a business name. But it just didn't work that way in reality.

And... think about when you do get a photo credit somewhere-- they use your name, not your url. This eventually adds up it's really what people remember in the long run. I've had a lot better luck since I switched to my name. More links to my site, the first search engine listing, and people only have to remember my name-- not my name and a business name.

No matter what route you go, though, get a .com. In my experience, most people will screw up a .net or .biz or whatever-- even if you are standing right there and tell them that's what to type, they'll still enter a .com. It's just habit.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+