Options

What did I do wrong?

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in Wildlife
I know where there is a Red Tailed Hawk Nest, finally found it about 5:30 or 6 last night. I had on my 400 plus 1/4 extender. Have more shots, but I worked these up last night. They are not stunning, they are "OK", probably. I did not use flash, I don't with birds..........the parent was flying off to get fish a short distance away as it got later...........I didn't want to spook him. The babies were "grown", maybe. It was difficult to see the nest which is huge.

Anyway, I don't see how I could have missed with the AF, it was working and pointing right at the bird. I used a monopod at first, then had to quit as it was causing me problems. Yes, I had some shake, but I did not work those up. What I worked up..........well

This one, the body appears in focus, but the head doesn't. It is almost full frame. Is the head in focus? I have to go to church this AM to photograph a baptism. Can't redo right now. Nor find better shots, but I can go back this afternoon, and I want to know what to do better (unless it storms........then the next afternoon).

68197340-L.jpg

Exif on that one: f5.6, 1600 ISO (It was late and kind of dark where I was, I went with an ISO for safety, I mean I hoped to get "something". I have been burned with low light and low ISOs with birds), 1/100 sec (I think I needed that ISO, he was beeing arrassed by crows, if I had used a flash I don't think I would have seen him again.)

The next one, OK, I did screw up. I somehow had the EV at -1, I think. And he was perched so pretty. I thanked God, then I screwed up. Don't know why that EV would have been like that. I try to save in Post.

Yup, just looked, the exif was the same as before except it was on -1 EV.

68195557-L.jpg

Below is what I think is a baby. A week ago someone here got fluffy photos of two babies. I think my photo is kind of "harsh" looking. The baby is bigger though you cannot see that. Well, did I screw up in post??? Or was it lighting. I know I used 5.6, I hoped that my distance, plus, would make that work..make any babies stand out.

And, I was at Magnolia Gardens, but not at the Rookery, so I have my choice, here, or the rookery, if it doesn't rain I can go back this afternoon and tomorrow morning.

68195541-L.jpg

After doing this, I left at dark.........then has a flat tire on the bridge: had to wait for police, was towed for 75.00 and my tire is costing 90.00. I have towing insurance, I hope they pay that, but this is money I was saving for the dentist. Bad times now............good weather, great birds......bad times, and somehow I don't think these shots are as good as I could have made them. But the nest is too high for flash, and the other time I was lucky to get that close to the bird. Lots of time and stealth. He came back with a fish, very fast, and I totally missed that.:cry But I got to see it.:thumb

Any suggestions would be appreciated?

ginger
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    This is the one I thought was clearest,
    but I think it has noise/pixel issues???

This is the finished, just now: curves, saturation, upped the yellow a bit for the feet, sharpened with LAB sharpening, then sharpened with High Pass, too.

It is full framed, I could crop if I wanted....... but to show you all, I was close enough, the AF was working........maybe it was too late. That is when they move around: later like that. ????

68241972-L.jpg

This is from RAW:

68241977-L.jpg

Should I give it up and just go to the rookery??? (egrets) This is by the side of the exit road. I can't set up a tripod in the middle of the road. I put the monopod down only when I was following the bird over to here. For all the other shots I used the monopod, but walking down the rd, the bird was moving, the crows were screaming, my glasses were fogged. I couldn't shoot with the monopod. But I don't "think" it is shake???

ginger
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    http://upacreekPHOTOGRAPHY.smugmug.com/gallery/1434643/1/68241972

That is the link to the gallery with originals and all avail.......rt click them off, if you want to see what they look like.

Scary, but will leave it this way this AM.

ginger

Move to Shenanigans if appropriate...........but I did want to know what the birders thought re shooting conditions. I shot at least until 7 PM
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    if I ask for help, it means I want it, please do not feel afraid to criticise me in this case!

please, am leaving now...........but would like something before I go back to the birds this PM.
    ginger
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

68241977-Th.jpg

Ginger, dear...

1/100th with a 400mm lens, you'll have camera shake - you know that :D you need to be at 1/400th or higher, the rule of thumb. And as we get older, it's even more important. I'm not as steady as I was 10 years ago lol3.gif

The shot is OOF, and there's some camara shake, that's all. Wait to find that bird when you have more light deal.gif
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    Thanks Andy! Raining right now, and I was exhausted by the time that bird decided to pose for me last night. I think it was too late for both of us!

Tomorrow for sure, might go this afternoon, couldn't hurt unless tornado warnings......

But thanks! For responding and the suggestion. Re light.

ginger