Options

Finally Caught My Bluebirds!

kygardenkygarden Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
edited May 7, 2006 in Wildlife
I finally caught the bluebirds next to my house feeding their young. Mom has a cricket and dad has some sort of worm/caterpillar. I really need a better lens! These were taken with the cheapo Nikon 28-200mm. It's ok, but not so sharp or fast. These birds have been nesting in this location next to my house for the last 5 or 6 years - ever since I put the box up.

Does the same family return or is it different bluebirds that just happen to like the location?

68283011-L.jpg

68283010-L.jpg

68283002-L.jpg

68283013-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    I really like the first shot, no matter what the lensthumb.gif Aren't they just beautiful little birds.
    Can't say if the same couple returns each year, 5-6 years for a songbird in the wild sounds a bit long, maybe. I can sure find out for you.
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    Thusie wrote:
    I really like the first shot, no matter what the lensthumb.gif Aren't they just beautiful little birds.
    Can't say if the same couple returns each year, 5-6 years for a songbird in the wild sounds a bit long, maybe. I can sure find out for you.

• Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    In spite of the lens, you captured some adorable poses!!!! Such beautiful little birds. Very nice - Congratulations!!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    Thanks everyone. 5 more from the batch. If I had a really nice 70-200 2.8 VR I'd really be in business :)

68330647-L.jpg

68330652-L.jpg

68330656-L.jpg

68330661-L.jpg

68330665-L.jpg
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Excellent shots. You don't need pro gear to get good results.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Those are great shots! I don't even see many bluebirds! One of my favorite books as a child was "The Bluebird of Happiness". I have a couple of old copies now.

Interesting re their food thing, did they ever put the food down or eat it?

ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    ThusieThusie Registered Users Posts: 1,818 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:

ginger

Probably not just stuffed into gaping nestling mouths:D

Great shots!
  • Options
    edited May 7, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Those are great shots! I don't even see many bluebirds! One of my favorite books as a child was "The Bluebird of Happiness". I have a couple of old copies now.

ginger

As Thusie said, I'm sure the babies ate it up :) I read bluebirds LOVE meal worms. Some people buy them and put them in a plate fastened to a fence post. There's plenty around here for them to eat. I wondered where dad got that worm though. I don't see many of those myself! He's got a good eye. It's not an earth worm. It's like a caterpillar or something.