I Love RAW

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 16, 2006 in People
They said no flash pictures !!! everybody had to put away their cameras, but not me !! Ok, I had to go to ISO 800 / 1600 and thank God for RAW ( the jpegs are a mess ) and I know these arent great but the point is I GOT PICS of my daughter in her ballet recital and NOONE else did!!! And i dont have to pay the $18.00 for a 8x10 that the "professionals charge" .

My jpegs are a mess, they are overblown, noisy and discolored...
I was very sad when i 1st saw my jpegs...
RAW saved me today, I :lust you RAW !

Since I took over 100 pictures, I figured I saved about $1,000.00

troy

68342913-M.jpg

68342971-M.jpg

68343052-M.jpg

68343078-M.jpg

68342954-M.jpg

68343172-M.jpg

68342979-M.jpg68343161-M.jpg

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 7, 2006
    Troy,

Great images and a beautiful young lady.

I bet that second one makes a gorgeous enlargement, as do a couple of the others.

Theatrical lighting is a bugger. How did you set your white balance?

Thanks,

ziggy53
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Troy,

Great images and a beautiful young lady.

I bet that second one makes a gorgeous enlargement, as do a couple of the others.

Theatrical lighting is a bugger. How did you set your white balance?

Thanks,

ziggy53

Ziggy,

i have no clue about white balance....
    i used auto when i opened my RAW pics in CS2.. on the jpegs they were a mess... the lighting kept changing and was kinda harsh and there were shadows...

Thank god for RAW !

troy
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited May 7, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    Since I took over 100 pictures, I figured I saved about $1,000.00

"... But honey, I just saved us over $1000. Now I can afford the (insert 'wanted/needed/lusted after' item here)."
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited May 7, 2006
    ziggy53 wrote:
    "... But honey, I just saved us over $1000. Now I can afford the (insert 'wanted/needed/lusted after' item here)."

lol, thats right !!

and you know what?? I just visited the Professional Photogs website who took pics of this recital for sale and mine aren't that much different from his - as a matter of fact, I think some of mine are better and he's charging $18.00 for a 8x10 !

troy
  • jdfaithjdfaith Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Nice job. Now I know what I need to do for my daughter's recital! Thanks.
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited May 7, 2006
    Those came out really great, Troy. I love the ballet shots. RAW is truly awesome!!!! (And yes...a lifesaver!!!) thumb.gif
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    I think they're great! And they friggin' awesome compared to no pictures at all and the same ones at $18 a pop.

That "I got the pictures"-feeling is like a drug isn't it? I'd imagine it gets even more so when you've got kids.

Great work!

Malte
    edited May 8, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    I think they're great! And they friggin' awesome compared to no pictures at all and the same ones at $18 a pop.

That "I got the pictures"-feeling is like a drug isn't it? I'd imagine it gets even more so when you've got kids.

Great work!

Malte

thanx Malte - VERY MUCH!

i have four kids.... in the last three days ive taken pictures of my daughters ballet recital, my sons soccer match, my other daughters field trip at school, my older sons class graduation, my bird stuff.... Im glad to now go to work!

troy
  • MalteMalte Registered Users Posts: 1,181 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    thanx Malte - VERY MUCH!

i have four kids.... in the last three days ive taken pictures of my daughters ballet recital, my sons soccer match, my other daughters field trip at school, my older sons class graduation, my bird stuff.... Im glad to now go to work!

troy

Sounds like a full time gig on the side, a good one though! Nice to hear you can get some rest at your 9-5.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a pain in the butt with the snapping already, what if there was a baby?! I'd get totally obnoxious.

I'm not kidding.

About this recital, wasn't the shutternoise a problem?

Malte
    edited May 8, 2006
    Malte wrote:
    Sounds like a full time gig on the side, a good one though! Nice to hear you can get some rest at your 9-5.

My girlfriend thinks I'm a pain in the butt with the snapping already, what if there was a baby?! I'd get totally obnoxious.

I'm not kidding.

About this recital, wasn't the shutternoise a problem?

Malte

the shutternoise could be a problem, but im 6 ft 1 - so there is no problem!

j/k.... i guess the other people didnt mind.

troy
  • JnicholsJnichols Registered Users Posts: 223 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    You did a fantastic job! When my oldest daughter was taking ballet - I DID pay the $$ for recital pictures and your pictures were better than mine :uhoh At the time I had a point and shoot camera - boy do I wish I had my nikon then!
    edited May 8, 2006
    jdfaith wrote:
    Nice job. Now I know what I need to do for my daughter's recital! Thanks.

thanx!!! shoot RAW

troy
  • mereimagemereimage Registered Users Posts: 448 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Great job
    I just shot a dance recital-and its tough. I admire your shots and Rutts from the ballet. I'll try and post a few tonight............ Mereimage
  • sthigsthig Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    you pictures are so crisp at 800 and 1600 iso! how'd you accomplish that with no noise in them?

these are a beaut
    -Scott
    photos: Scojobo.com
    illos: sThig.com
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    lol, thats right !!

and you know what?? I just visited the Professional Photogs website who took pics of this recital for sale and mine aren't that much different from his - as a matter of fact, I think some of mine are better and he's charging $18.00 for a 8x10 !

troy

How about a link to his website?

Sam
  • CookieSCookieS Registered Users Posts: 854 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    My Guess, is the NO noise issue is becuase he has a 20D ? very good in high iso situations. Just a note for all the pro photographers, $18.00 is CHEAP for 8x10 and everyone with there own cameras is what makes it hard for event photogrpahers out there. Glad i have a day job :D OK Off my soap box.

Great shots, what lens did you use ? I just ordered an 85mm f 1.8 to do my sisters wedding.
  • arroyosharkarroyoshark Registered Users Posts: 191 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Very nice images!

This seems to be the season for the annual ballet performances. My own daughter's performance is coming up in a week and a half. In previous years I got some photos of her performing (no flash) by setting ISO on my Canon A80 to 400, just so I could use a faster shutterspeed. Boy did this bring out the digital noise.

I am looking forward to trying out a new Rebel xt on the upcoming performance. mwink.gif

...and I too would be curious about your lens/camera settings for this.

Thanks.
    Available light is any damn light that's available -W. Eugene Smith
    edited May 10, 2006
    Very nice images!

This seems to be the season for the annual ballet performances. My own daughter's performance is coming up in a week and a half. In previous years I got some photos of her performing (no flash) by setting ISO on my Canon A80 to 400, just so I could use a faster shutterspeed. Boy did this bring out the digital noise.

I am looking forward to trying out a new Rebel xt on the upcoming performance. mwink.gif

...and I too would be curious about your lens/camera settings for this.

Thanks.

i used a 20D ( same results with a rebel xt ) and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L,

thanx for the nice comments...

troy
    edited May 15, 2006
    Sam wrote:
    How about a link to his website?

Sam

im not sure that would be appropriate sam, and id feel bad if he visits this site!

thanx for looking!

troy
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    Well done -- and I agree completely about raw. Even with my 5D -- I shoot raw. I now have 21gig of cf space -- so I can shoot raw to my hearts desire :)

Lee
  • nikosnikos Registered Users Posts: 216 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    Great pictures -- you definitely got lots of keepers that will make your kids happy.

I love the 20D and its high ISO performance. I take lots of pics at 1600-3200 iso and noise isn't a problem for me when I shoot RAW with the correct exposure.

Cheers,
    Nikos
  • NimaiNimai Registered Users Posts: 564 Major grins
    edited May 16, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS L
    Ah hah! That's the information I was looking for. Excelent results.:encore