Canon Lens

JapanJapan Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
edited May 12, 2006 in Cameras
I would like to know what lens to buy with my Canaon EOS 30D body.
I would like 1 lens almost like the Nikon 18-200. is there a lens like that for canon, and if not what is the neweast nicest lens in that category to buy, anything from 18 or 28 to 200 or 300
I do not want 2 lenses that I have to chnage all the time.

Comments

• cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Japan wrote:
    I would like 1 lens almost like the Nikon 18-200. is there a lens like that for canon, and if not what is the neweast nicest lens in that category to buy, anything from 18 or 28 to 200 or 300
    This should be asked on the Accessories or Camera Forums.

I am not aware of a Canon lens with that range. They do make a 28-200, read about it here. Sigma makes an 18-200. You can read about it here.

Here are all the Canon lenses

I suggest you research this using the following links:

http://www.photozone.de/8Reviews/index.html
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/
    http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Zoom-Lens-Reviews.aspx
    http://www.bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html
    http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,077 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    Japan wrote:

Sigma and Tamron both have lenses that do 18-200mm and are in the $300s. Neither are reported to be stellar performers, but they offer tremendous convenience.

One comparison here:

http://www.dcresource.com/forums/printthread.php?t=7524
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited May 8, 2006
    I am very confused. headscratch.gif

Your profile says your camera is a D70 Nikon. You could use the Nikon 28-200mm on that body.

The desire to use an interchangeable lens camera (EOS 30D), as a non-interchangeable lens camera, confuses me also.ne_nau.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Japan wrote:

How about this the Canon 28-300L series?

Check it out here: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/images/lens/ef28-300_35-56lisu_586x225.jpg

Sneak peek...Attachment not found.

I don't thinks it's cheap though...like 2-grand. I'm pretty sure B&H has it.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

Your profile says your camera is a D70 Nikon. You could use the Nikon 28-200mm on that body.

The desire to use an interchangeable lens camera (EOS 30D), as a non-interchangeable lens camera, confuses me also.ne_nau.gif

I'm confused too. The point of having an SLR is to be able to use different lenses. Why would you get such a nice camera and not get a few nice lenses to switch around?
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.
  • JapanJapan Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

I do not get what you mean, surely I can not use the Nikon lens on the canon camera!!
  • JapanJapan Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited May 9, 2006
    pathfinder wrote:

Actually I bought this camera on behalf of someone else, as I live in Japan and could get it cheaper than he would in his home country. He asked me for help to choose a canon lens, but I only really know the Nikon lenses. I will not advise him to get the Sigma or Tamron lenses.
    Am I right in saying all your suggestions are
    1) the Canon lens 28-300 or the 28-200 (Has these lenses been released recently or have they been around for a while)
    At the moment he is having a hard time choosing between 2 of the following 3
    - Canon EF 24-85mm f3.5-4.5
    - Canon EF 70-300 f4.0-5.6 IS USM Stabilizer
    -Canon EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6

But I would say for the convenience sake to get the 28-300, but I do not know how fast the lens is f-?
    Sorry maybe I should have explained myself better, you guys are a great help though,....Thanks
  • LizaLiza Registered Users Posts: 57 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Avoid those hyperzoom lenses. They usually produce soft images. A better combo for a beginner would be the Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Canon 70-200 f/4L. If he wants to shoot wider, consider the Canon 17-40L or the Sigma 18-50 f/2.8.

You can check reviews at www.fredmiranda.com or on Bob Atkins site.
    Canon 20D | Canon 10D | 50mm f/1.8 | 85mm f/1.8 | 100mm f/2 | 100mm f/2.8 macro| 200 f/2.8L | 70-200 f/4L | 75-300 USM II | Tamron 28-75 | Sigma 100-300 | 580EX | Tamron 1.4x T-con | Various and sundry p&s and film cameras
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Liza wrote:
    Avoid those hyperzoom lenses. They usually produce soft images. A better combo for a beginner would be the Sigma 24-70 or Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 and the Canon 70-200 f/4L.
    15524779-Ti.gif I have the Tamron 28-75. I have read that some folks have heard there is some variation in this lens from one copy to another, but I have not read where anyone actually has one of these "off" lenses. Mine is tack sharp. I will not soon be getting rid of it and when I do, it only will be for "L" glass with IS, in similar focal length.

I can't talk about the Sigma 24-70 as I have never even held one, let alone shot with one. But, I can not recommend this lens highly enough.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I would not suggest the 28-300L. For starters it is a very expensive lens, and quite large, so it really is not practical as an 'everyday lens'.

Assuming Canon is preferred, think your friend would do well with the Canon EF 28-135 f3.5-5.6, or the 17-85IS, both of which are better than the typical kit lens. These lenses will serve very nicely to start, and when your friend learns more, he can consider some of the other lenses.
  • JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Jeffro wrote:
    How about this the Canon 28-300L series?

Check it out here: http://consumer.usa.canon.com/app/images/lens/ef28-300_35-56lisu_586x225.jpg

Sneak peek...Attachment not found.

I don't thinks it's cheap though...like 2-grand. I'm pretty sure B&H has it.

Replying to my own post...hmmm...

You know I wouldn't recommend getting this lens as the "do it all" either. But if you are looking for that all in one, it's an option. It's also heavy, expensive, and even though I don't know for sure, I'll bet it is soft, compared to the two lenses it would take to get this kind of coverage.

I love my 70-200L F2.8 IS, and 17-40L F4. I would tell your friend to get two lenses....after all it is a D-SLR...and you can (should) change lenses.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • J-BJ-B Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited May 12, 2006
    Japan wrote:

I can vouch for the 28-200 Canon lens.....DON'T BUY IT!!! It was very soft and it's not cheap. I would think some of the the 3rd party lens would be your best bet. Either sigma or Tamron.