ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 14, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
68455049-L.jpg

Comments, etc, appreciated........

Looking is good, too.

thanks, ginger

Oh, I followed a Kirby "recipe" for portraits as
far as softening was concerned.
I never make a square crop. I hope it is allowed.
In this case it looked best with a square crop.

Exif:
5/7/2006
F 4.5
ISO 200
24mm
1/60
Flash Fired
EV 0
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• sayntbrigidsayntbrigid Registered Users Posts: 381 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    What a precious moment......and yes, I think the soft looks really nice :):
    True happiness is wanting what you have
    http://avatars.imvu.com/sayntbrigidii
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    68323612-L.jpg

Title: Playful Priest

I have this in my Daily Photos..........it seems someone, at least, likes it, it could be used instead of Mother's Day. I thought this one would be liked or hated, but that Mother's Day issues are generally "loved" by all.

Any comments??? As to the Priest or the Mom?

ginger (love them both. Each photo shows a piece of the personality of the person portrayed.)
    edited May 8, 2006
    me? I LOVE it :Dclap.gif
    edited May 8, 2006
    me? I LOVE it :Dclap.gif

Thanks, is it the Priest photo that you love???

ginger (going out to find me a Hawk, or die, haharolleyes1.gif :cry )
    edited May 8, 2006
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Thanks, is it the Priest photo that you love???

ginger (going out to find me a Hawk, or die, haharolleyes1.gif :cry )

Yup, thats my favorite....although I understand your concern that it might not be everyones favorite........but I put my favorite, cuz its just fun :D
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Ginger, the priest shot is wonderful! How fun! The eyes are a little blown from the lighting, but I am sure something could be done to minimize this.

I don't care for the crop on the first shot at all - just too tight for me.ne_nau.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Ginger, I like the Mother's Day image best.
    The mother shows real pride and joy!
    (The priest is just horsing around.)
    The soft effect is nice, but I prefer slight sharpening in the mother's eyes to show her personality, which is the key.
    The lower corners might be cropped tighter.
  • johnojohno Registered Users Posts: 617 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Tough one G. You know me... I like the Priest. Most people think these guys are sticks in mud. Jesus came so we might have life and have it to the full.

Both pics show a full life. Good luck.thumb.gif

peace.
    johno~
    If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
    ~Mother Teresa

Canon 1D Mark II / Canon 50D / Canon 30D / Canon G9
    Canon 50mm 1.4
    Canon 24-105 f/4 L IS / Canon 70-200 f/2.8 L

blog
    johno's gallery
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I love the Mother's Day photo. She looks so happy. The crop looks fine.

As for the priest. The photo is definitely fun. Hasn't he hammed it up for you before? I seem to remember an earlier photo ne_nau.gif:D

But, bottom line, what is the contextual element in the priest photo? He is a priest being un-priestly. eek7.gif I guess it can be argued both ways.

Poor Ginger. The dilemma of having too many riches.:):

Virginia

Email
    edited May 10, 2006
    Oh, my, I think it is a complete split. On the mother and child, I tried to erase all softening from the mother's eyes, brows, lips, hair and dress. I actually think that woman uses all of her eyes to smile with.

Yes, that is Father M's idea of clowning around. I am trying to get a complete record through the years, with as many photographs of him as I can get, of his time as a Priest, a very conservative Priest, I might add, smile.......at Stella Maris, the same church in which he grew up.

When he saw that I was going to get a photo of him setting up for the baptism, he said, "Oh, God". I laughed and teased him. I don't think he was praying. I told him that he would be glad some day that I had these photos. That is when he stuck his tongue out, and I just snap the photo, like always.

He is a Monsignor, important in Diocese of Charleston which is for the whole state of SC, but he has really had to "give it up" for his role as a Pastor. I want to show the Pastor. Others are taking as I call them the money shots: the official shots of him as a Monsignor are being documented by others. I like the simple parish Priest. The dichotomy that is present in so many lives.

ginger (what oh what is one to do...........I am not worrying about it. But I don't think I can make the mother look sharper.)
  • wizard444wizard444 Registered Users Posts: 50 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Wonderful story to go with the shot. It really shows a side of the cloth that many just don't see often - the human side. Thank you for sharing both the story and the photo!

Oh, and MarkSB is way smarter than I when it comes to cropping.ne_nau.gif
    "Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again."

Henri Cartier Bresson
  • MarkSBMarkSB Registered Users Posts: 96 Big grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    It's perfect! Go with the mother and child! thumb.gif
    edited May 11, 2006
    Redo of Playful Priest
    69071863-L.jpg

I used Dan Margulis recipe for faces, as best I understood it.

And I tried to correct for casts using PS Match thing.

ginger (it is sharper.......oh and I fixed the glasses glare.)

I am really having trouble with the split. My thoughts are that the Priest is totally in context, he is at church, or somewhere "Contextual" as you can tell by the candle and the plaque (saying something church), whereas the mother's day, there is really no reason to have a candle, not a church baptismal candle. So I am leaning towards the Priest purely on reason of the definition of the challenge.

I could take the candle out of Mother's Day, but I see less "context" there. And I cannot make her as sharp as I did the priest, especially as the baby is not sharp.

Those are my thoughts. Yours???

ginger
    edited May 11, 2006
    as you know.....I love the Priest clap.gif

I feel like I know him already :D

but go with how you feel.......they are both great :)
    edited May 11, 2006
    Well, I went back to the original crop! And named it Spontaneous Dichotomy, whatever that means, smile. I love things that are a bit "out" of context, but really are not, if that makes any sense, I can't think of the word for it.

I think the candle and his "dress" puts him in context......the plaque just hurt the composition, that was my opinion. Yeah, I love the Priest, too. ONe would not think I would, being as how I am so liberal church wise, and he is so conservative. Ultimately, I feel I know him, too, and he is me/us.

ginger (that is one reason it is so important to me to record his time of service at Stella Maris. He has been there since the early 90s as a Priest, and as I said before, he grew up in that church.)

69075435-L.jpg

Funny, just occurred to me that I could call this "Father's Day"..........nice play on words there, smile. I will probably change the name.

g
    edited May 11, 2006
    I completely agree with you about the plaque.......I think he's a winner clap.gif
  • asdasd Registered Users Posts: 115 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    I vote for the priest - wonderful shot! The mother is great too, but the priest shot seems more unique to me. :)
  • superdiversuperdiver Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    Where are the peramiters listed for the challenges?