Options

That Dam Sun....

Action ShooterAction Shooter Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
edited May 10, 2006 in Technique
Hey all new guy here,,,,,
I am a self proclaimed sport photographer.(just ask my mom)

As a newbie I was curious if your experince could help..... the sun is not always where i need it to be so between shadows and direct sun I have to dump more pix. then I care to.
I'm using a Digital Canon rebel with 70-300 IS zoom with a UV filter.

Also.... I have to run every kept photo through Microsoft Digital imaging a hit the "levels auto fix" to get a clean photo.

Any suggestions ?????

thanks,
Andy

Comments

• Options
    JeffroJeffro Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Hey all new guy here,,,,,
    I am a self proclaimed sport photographer.(just ask my mom)

As a newbie I was curious if your experince could help..... the sun is not always where i need it to be so between shadows and direct sun I have to dump more pix. then I care to.
    I'm using a Digital Canon rebel with 70-300 IS zoom with a UV filter.

Also.... I have to run every kept photo through Microsoft Digital imaging a hit the "levels auto fix" to get a clean photo.

Any suggestions ?????

thanks,
    Andy

First off, the sun is not the real problem with the photo above...it's your focal point. Of lack there of. What where you focusing on?ne_nau.gif The entire shot looks OOF to me. If you missed your focal point, you could be missing your metering as well.
    Always lurking, sometimes participating. :D
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Are you sure IS was on? Like Jeffro said, nothing seems to be in focus. Usually that is caused by camera shake when the shutter speed is low compared to the focal length of the lens being used.

As for issues with sun and shadows, exposure bias can be used when the sun is directly behind subjects causing them to be darker. Bumping it up a few clicks will brighten them up and eliminate the heavy shadows. Be warned though that it will also blow out the background.

Check out the books link at the top of this forum. There are some great recommendations for books to help with photography. It's a learning process, but a fun one.