all your comments/suggestions much appreciated

68262237-L.jpg

68262523-L.jpg

68262554-L.jpg

68262351-L.jpg

Comments

• jrglassjrglass Registered Users Posts: 39 Big grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    I like all the shots - especially because I really like to watch bike racing. The shot of the bikes leaning into you in the curve are my favorites. I would like to see those same shots with your exposure set for the sky and an off camera flash used to expose the subjects. The use of a cold white balance setting there with a warming gel on the flash probably would have also produced some "cool" shots. Nice work.
  • mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    68262554-L.jpg

I love that shot. They came out well especially for your first time. Keep shooting, I'm sure you'll see much improvement overtime. Get creative like that shot you had above!
  • chuckicechuckice Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    nice shots and i love my cycling pix!
    Charles
    http://www.SnortingBullPhoto.com
    http://www.sportsshooter.com/cherskowitz
    "There's no reason to hurry on this climb...as long as you keep the tempo at the right speed the riders will fall back."
  • Camera dOOdCamera dOOd Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 13, 2006
    Nice shots for your first bike race. I like to equate photographing bike racing to shooting ducks. The action is fast and can be very unpredictable. Mountain bike racing can be especially challenging with fast moving subjects under dense tree canopies. I've had a passion for bike racing for more than 30 years and started a website to show and sell bike racing photos a few years ago. My son races, giving me an excuse to travel, photographing road, mtb, cyclocross, and track racing. I also race occassionally and have a hard time deciding to race or photograph.

Get as close to the riders as you can without interfering. Your photos look like you were close. Be careful and have a planned route for escape since you don't want to be responsible or even accused of causing a crash. Don't be afraid to use a flash, and take a big umbrella if rain is a possibilty. Some of my best bike racing photos were taken in miserable weather.

Here's one of my favorites:
    48347108-L-1.jpg

and here's one that demonstrates unpredictability as the rider bunny hops the finish line showing off his mountain bike abilities in a road race:
    69373580-L.jpg

BTW this is my first post on this forum.

Kevin Tokarski
    http://cyclepics.net/
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    Hey d00d, welcome to DGrin! wave.gif
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,237 moderator
    edited May 13, 2006
    banjo, nice racing pics. You've got a great eye for this type of event. We'd sure like to see more of your work.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited May 14, 2006
    Hi camera dood, Welcome.
    Thanks to you and all for your comments
    Im going to the world cup in Fort William at the end of the month and im hoping (no praying) that i DONT get the opportunity to take pics like your mud shot.
    Fantastic shot by the way.