CH 64: Trumpet

LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
edited May 15, 2006 in The Dgrin Challenges
EXIF
68473815-L.jpg

I'd love to have some help with this shot. Also, check out the first handful of photos in this gallery and let me know if y'all think I've got something better to submit.

Thanks,
Rich
We are the music-makers; and we are the dreamers of dreams.
... come along.

Comments

• ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    I love this shot, but I don't love the blue duotone. Too obvious. Too "Kinda Blue" cover. Maybe straight-up black and white. I'd try to figure out a way to mute the checked shirt in in the upper far right. Perhaps you can just burn it in. I'd also try to accentuate the gleam on the trumpet. Sharpen it good and hard.
    If not now, when?
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Hello LeDude !
    How are you ?
    I like your picture but ... always a but ... I would like to see it not so cropped.
    More room in front of the instrument ...
    And like Rutt said, the shirt is too strong back there ...
    But I like the blue tone. Blue, blues, trompet, black people ... I see ... :D
    Regards thumb.gif
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
    edited May 8, 2006
    OK, so it wasn't Kind of Blue:

B000002ADT.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V55083576_.jpg

How about:

B000000YG5.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

No, that isn't quite it. What about:

B000005H7D.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

B000005HGN.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

61fc124128a026a41cdb6010._AA240_.L.jpg

I knew I'd seen it.
    If not now, when?
    edited May 8, 2006
    Oh and:

B000A7Q2CI.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg
    If not now, when?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    The blue tone works for me.

The crop doesn't. I think I know why you cropped tight to the trumpet: To remove the musician next to him and concntrate on him.ne_nau.gif However it limits the shot, which, other than it is really good.
  • Antonio CorreiaAntonio Correia Registered Users Posts: 6,241 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Yes, blues ...
    :)::)::):
    All the best ! ... António Correia - Facebook
  • LeDudeLeDude Registered Users Posts: 501 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    68562108-L.jpg

Here's an update, some advice taken. The bass player has been removed via the magic of PS. (all right-side crop removed)

The blue. Yes, blue for a jazz photo has been done, and I was thinking it was classic-not broke, so don't fix it. I was trying to subdue the blueness though, so as not to be obvious. The blue is still here, but further subdued. So, my goal is to have a blue tint, but to make it subtle (give the effect without instantly causing viewer recognition). Have I succeeded this time?

thanks all for the comments, encouragement, etc.,
    Rich

[edit: I made some changes according to subsequent posts and re-uploaded using 'replace photo', so this is not exactly the shot rutt & khaos are commenting on... btw, thank you both]
    ... come along.
    edited May 8, 2006
    Yes, much better. As long as you are using magic to remove distracting elements, go after that light brown patch just above his right hand.

The more subtle blue works. It's just barely there if you know to look.
    If not now, when?
  • KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Looks better. I really like the shot.thumb.gif
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    On a 10 to 1 scale it's an A++:D
    iloveyou.gifclap
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    ultravox wrote:
    On a 10 to 1 scale it's an A++:D
    iloveyou.gifclap

I love the photo but not the frame. I feel its way too strong & detracts from the photo.

Nicola
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    I like your shot and while I agree the original crop is a little odd, I would've gone tighter rather than wider.

Check out two of the album covers posted by Rutt. Miles Davis and Winton Marsalis... in both, the mouth of the horn is cut off completely, leaving the man, his hands and his mouthpiece. Nothing about those images leaves you wondering what they're doing or what instrument they're playing.

thumb.gif
    edited May 9, 2006
    -border modified, better? "correct"? I'd like to bring out the super-subdued blue tint a little, and thought a blue border could do this (as well as tidy up the presentation)

I am still open to ideas and am still trying to improve, but now I'm getting a little conflicting advice--not all advice can be taken :uhoh--so I must exercise some discretion; still, many thanks.

-Rich

(Angelo: Given the challenge rules I am going to err on the side of showing the trumpet.)
    ... come along.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Love the shot, hate the hot-white parts of his shirt. They distract.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
    edited May 9, 2006
    DavidTO wrote:
    Love the shot, hate the hot-white parts of his shirt. They distract.
    I took it down a notch here, but I'm torn. Is this enough to kill the hotness? Is this enough to make the white shirt/pants un-distracting? Obviously, bringing down the high white point of the shirt/pants reduces the contrast in the shot, so I think it's about balance. Uhg, I see your point but I can't make up my mind on this. [Edit: I re-added a bit more blue]

Hot
    68562108-L-4.jpg

De-Hot
    68674218-L.jpg

P.S. ultravox, you flatter me so :D
    ... come along.
  • vangoghvangogh Registered Users Posts: 353 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    -border modified, better? "correct"? I'd like to bring out the super-subdued blue tint a little, and thought a blue border could do this (as well as tidy up the presentation)

I am still open to ideas and am still trying to improve, but now I'm getting a little conflicting advice--not all advice can be taken :uhoh--so I must exercise some discretion; still, many thanks.

-Rich

(Angelo: Given the challenge rules I am going to err on the side of showing the trumpet.)

Yep I personally feel that's better.
    Nicola
    Iconic Creative
    http://iconiccreative.smugmug.com

"To be creative means the ability to remain thirsty and to want more, never be content...you keep on seeing, discovering and understanding the joy of creativity"
    Raghu Rai
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Even though the hot spots didn't bother me, I do like the "de-hot" version best. Great picture.

Virginia

Email
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Nice shot!

I'm glad you're working up this picture for the challenge. When I saw it on the One Stop Music Thread, I thought of the challenge. Of course, all my Jazz Fest photos were shot just BEFORE the challenge period started. Doh! So I'm glad you've got a muscian in the game. Good luck!
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited May 14, 2006
    thank you juliejules, flying... all

as the entries build (and now exceed ten :uhoh) I am starting to get a little anxious; so, this is a bump of sorts... iza fishin fo last minute adjustment advice mwink.gif

i any event, thanks all for the help and good luck to all in the challenge
    ... come along.
  • DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited May 14, 2006
    the whites of his eyes match his skin tone... maybe lighten them up a littlene_nau.gif

but overall i like the shot alot.
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

edited May 15, 2006
    DanielB wrote:
    the whites of his eyes match his skin tone... maybe lighten them up a littlene_nau.gif

but overall i like the shot alot.

i hear you man... i've pushed it about as far as I can; the problem is my resolution isn't high enough, so it looks choppy and unreal when I make them whiter.. then again, maybe my method is wrong, i'll try somethin' new and read some tuts soon
    ... come along.
  • ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited May 15, 2006
    LeDude wrote:
    P.S. ultravox, you flatter me so :D
    And it's free of charge :D. From my POV it's a winnerclap.gif.
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]