i have a "prints" question....

windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
edited May 9, 2006 in SmugMug Support
i have never printed any of my pictures using smugmug. now regarding the ballet pictures of my daughter i took in the "people forum" - i thought they looked ok on my Dell CRT monitor - but now that Im looking at them on a school Emac - they look even better !!!! (I would buy them from myself ) So here is my question.

How will they look if I use Smugmug to print?
what im trying to say is, i made the image on a dell pc using a dell crt - they look ok....... but on the emac they look awesome to me,
will they print like the CRT or the Emac or neither????

troy

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    i have never printed any of my pictures using smugmug. now regarding the ballet pictures of my daughter i took in the "people forum" - i thought they looked ok on my Dell CRT monitor - but now that Im looking at them on a school Emac - they look even better !!!! (I would buy them from myself ) So here is my question.

How will they look if I use Smugmug to print?
    what im trying to say is, i made the image on a dell pc using a dell crt - they look ok....... but on the emac they look awesome to me,
    will they print like the CRT or the Emac or neither????

troy
    links please and I'll verify.
  • windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:

here ya go.....

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=33682

troy
    edited May 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:

Photo Links, Troy - links in the gallery please.
  • JimMJimM Registered Users Posts: 1,389 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    If you have never printed with SM, you will be very pleasantly surprised. I am extremely pleased with the quality of their prints. As for which monitor, the print will be better than either monitor.
    Cameras: >(2) Canon 20D .Canon 20D/grip >Canon S200 (p&s)
    Glass: >Sigma 17-35mm,f2.8-4 DG >Tamron 28-75mm,f2.8 >Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro >Canon 70-200mm,f2.8L IS >Canon 200mm,f2.8L
    Flash: >550EX >Sigma EF-500 DG Super >studio strobes

Sites: Jim Mitte Photography - Livingston Sports Photos - Brighton Football Photos
  • dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited May 8, 2006
    profiles
    If your monitor is profiled, you can download the EZ prints profile and soft proof in PSCS. This gives you a decent idea of how your print will look. I work with a complete color managed system (so does Andy-- that's why he's asking for links to your images) and can tell you my prints are mighty close to my monitor. Of course they don't look just like the monitor (no prints do-- monitors project light, prints reflect light).

Alas, there are volumes of books written on this topic. And many, many websites. In my opinion, some of the easiest to understand are Tim Grey's books "Color Confidence" and one he wrote on getting the best prints from your files (can't remember the exact title, but it's similar to my description).

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

edited May 8, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Photo Links, Troy - links in the gallery please.

here ya go again.....

http://windoze.smugmug.com/gallery/1437270

troy
    edited May 8, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    You're photos are not in sRGB - in Photoshop, do convert to profile, choose sRGB. Then you can print to your heart's content!
    edited May 9, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    You're photos are not in sRGB - in Photoshop, do convert to profile, choose sRGB. Then you can print to your heart's content!

you say my photos are not in sRGB, is that because i did something wrong or because thats the way they open from RAW (20d) in CS2. Also when i now make that change to my jpegs ( converted from RAW ) that I already did - does that affect the IQ at all?

Lastly, are you saying - whenever i use CS2 and open a RAW file from 20D I should ALWAYS do convert profile and choose sRGB?

troy
    edited May 9, 2006
    windoze wrote:
    you say my photos are not in sRGB, is that because i did something wrong or because thats the way they open from RAW (20d) in CS2. Also when i now make that change to my jpegs ( converted from RAW ) that I already did - does that affect the IQ at all?

Lastly, are you saying - whenever i use CS2 and open a RAW file from 20D I should ALWAYS do convert profile and choose sRGB?

troy

No you did nothing wrong - be sure to open them from raw in sRGB Troy.
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    windoze wrote:

troy

Troy, in the bottom left of the Camera Raw window, you should see some options like those below, just make sure that it's set to sRGB, not any of the other options, and you'll be fine, and will no longer need to convert.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops