canon 50mm/f1.0 collectors item

gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
edited May 9, 2006 in Cameras
saw one of these recently in a local camera trader magazine for about AUD$2500-out of my league but a very collectible lens that just isn't made any more-if anyone is genuinely interested let me know and i can get the details for you.no doubt it would be excellent for indoor performances and other low light situations, with a crop camera and for extreme shallow DOF work.
Latitude: 37° 52'South
Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Maybe someone in here can let me know the use of such a lens ?

The 85mm f/1.2 is way too slow on the focus for anything but portraits & i get into all sorts of trouble with my f/1.8 being too shallow.

Is it regarded as fast focusing ?
  • gtcgtc Registered Users Posts: 916 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    gus methinks its a manual focus greg
    Latitude: 37° 52'South
    Longitude: 145° 08'East

Canon 20d,EFS-60mm Macro,Canon 85mm/1.8. Pentax Spotmatic SP,Pentax Super Takumars 50/1.4 &135/3.5,Pentax Super-Multi-Coated Takumars 200/4 ,300/4,400/5.6,Sigma 600/8.
  • gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    gtc wrote:
    gus methinks its a manual focus greg
    hmm headscratch.gif jewellery type shots maybe
  • DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    The 50/1.0 I held in my driveway once (patch had one) was no old jewelry MF relic - it was AF with a nice red L ring around it.

I asked the same question about it's use and have subsequently forgotten the answer. Pretty big chunk of glass I must say, impressive. If I had to guess, I'd say this: we all know faster is better, all the time. So my 2.8 lens is awesome, but we also know for the most part that wide open is usually not the strongest setting for any lens. So with a f/1.0, you can stop it down 2 stops to f/2.0, be in the sweet spot of the lens, and still have a crazy fast aperture.
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I want it for theatre. Simple as that. At 20,' the DOF at f/1 is around 2' -- enough to get a human body in focus.
    imageNATION
    SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
    http://www.imag-e-nation.net
  • Bob BellBob Bell Registered Users Posts: 598 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    gus wrote:
    Maybe someone in here can let me know the use of such a lens ?

The 85mm f/1.2 is way too slow on the focus for anything but portraits & i get into all sorts of trouble with my f/1.8 being too shallow.

Is it regarded as fast focusing ?

Gus, the 85mm lenses were made for indoor sports, plays, etc... I used to use them for sideline football player portraits when the lighting was way to dark for 2.8 primes. The 85's are very popular with the basketball shooters. Since lenses can be used for many things, I think thats how it made it to the portrait scene.

The DoF at F1 is pretty cool but just like any lens it has many slower apertures so you can have the depth of field needed. I have seen some portraits with it and the super thin DoF almost makes it look like a soft focus center spot filter.

There is probably 1 for sale each month or two on FM. From a practical standpoint, I'm not sure how much owners of that lens use it, I always thought it was more of a collectors item.

The coolest thing about it for me is the rear glass is 36mm in diameter :)
    Bob
    Phoenix, AZ
    Canon Bodies
    Canon and Zeiss Lenses