Missing Exif data

DunkerDunker Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
edited May 11, 2006 in SmugMug Support
I have read the posts containing "exif" and cant find a solution so:

My smugmug site is not showing my exif data with my new camera, maxxum 5d.

Here is my entire process:

1) Shoot in raw (.mrw) <---has exif
2) tranfer off CF card into Picassa 2 w/ sandisk card reader. <<----has exif
3) crop, retouch, resize in Picassa 2 - save as hi res jpeg <<--- it gets lost here!

Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks
Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Dunker wrote:
    Any help would be appriciated.

Thanks

Your original files (I looked at them) have NO exif in them. That means, they didn't have the EXIF in them on the way to SmugMug.

Picasa strips exif, there's a setting, but I do not know it. In photoshop, we use "save as" and that retains exif. Check your Picasa settings.

Andy
  • DunkerDunker Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Sorry
    It looks like you are right no data. I am not sure how to get it to stay. I explained my process, can you see what might be strippnig it? I also have elements 4 and CS2, but I perfer picassa for bulk adjustments (it's faster). I'm not sure if there is a way to keep it, I have tried "save a copy" and export file (as jpeg) and both methods seem to strip it.

I could shoot in raw+jpeg, but when I do that the jpeg file size is smaller and I would perfer to keep the largest file possible. (space is cheap)
    CS2, or PSE, and use "save as"
    I'm sorry, I have no clue about Picase ne_nau.gif
    Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com
  • docwalkerdocwalker Registered Users Posts: 1,867 SmugMug Employee
    edited May 9, 2006
    I have been a pretty avid Picassa user since I downloaded it a few months ago. I have found no instance where Picassa has done anything to the exif. I suspected it a few times but found other reasons in the end. I do not see the "setting" Andy refers to in Picassa.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    http://help.smugmug.com
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I also use Picasa2 to upload pictures to Smugmug and my EXIF data is intact. I've used both the Java uploader and Firefox and the IE Drag and Drop.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Well I can't see EXIF data in CR2 files within Picasa. I have never done a RAW conversion in Picasa, but I just tried it, and there is no EXIF data in the jpg created by Picasa from the RAW file.

When I create jpg from RAW conversion software (RSE, DPP and ACR) they all include EXIF, and Picasa can read it. All my jpg converted from RSE show EXIF in Picasa, but none of the CR2 files show EXIF in Picasa.
    edited May 9, 2006
    I guess that is one of the big issues right there. You can view raw files but Picassa is not real good at editing them. I usually use Picassa for my .jpg files and edits. I can see that Picassa is not loading Exif from the .nef files from my Nikon.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 10, 2006
    what are these?
    cmason wrote:
    Well I can't see EXIF data in CR2 files within Picasa. I have never done a RAW conversion in Picasa, but I just tried it, and there is no EXIF data in the jpg created by Picasa from the RAW file.

When I create jpg from RAW conversion software (RSE, DPP and ACR) they all include EXIF, and Picasa can read it. All my jpg converted from RSE show EXIF in Picasa, but none of the CR2 files show EXIF in Picasa.

I am wondering what programs are "RSE, DPP and ACR"? I'm not super excited to add yet another photo imaging program to my computer, but I want to be able to have my exif data on smug so I guess I will look into them. I have been trying to convert from raw to jpeg within Elements 4, but that to is removing the exif...
    Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Dunker wrote:
    I am wondering what programs are "RSE, DPP and ACR"? I'm not super excited to add yet another photo imaging program to my computer, but I want to be able to have my exif data on smug so I guess I will look into them. I have been trying to convert from raw to jpeg within Elements 4, but that to is removing the exif...
    Raw Shooter Essentials
    Digital Photo Pro
    Adobe Camera Raw
    edited May 10, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Raw Shooter Essentials
    Digital Photo Pro
    Adobe Camera Raw

Raw Shooter Essentials - great, free RAW conversion program
    Digital Photo Pro - Canon's software for RAW conversion, comes free with camera
    Adobe Camera Raw - RAW conversion program in Photoshop, and I believe Elements
    edited May 11, 2006
    Still can't retain exif in Picasa. (Raw to Jpeg)
    I have spent way too many hours in the past couple of days trying to retain my exif data while converting and editing my Raw (.mrw) files in Picasa.

Doc, I know you said you have not had any problems keeping yours and getting it to up to smugmug, but I don't see any exif data on your site.

As far as I can tell this is what is happening....

1) Shoot in raw (.mrw) <---has exif
    2) tranfer off CF card into Picassa 2 w/ sandisk card reader. <<----has exif
    3) crop, retouch, resize in Picassa 2 - save as hi res jpeg <<--- it gets lost here!

I know I don't need the exif, but since part of the reason i'm using Smug is for the backing up of my collection, it would be nice to save the whole file.

I know I can acheive the desired results with other programs, so please don't provide those answers.

What I am looking for is someone who is sucessfully using Picasa to convert from Raw to Jpeg and then uploading to Smug and still has Exif data, these are the people who might be able to help identify what I'm doing wrong.

Thanks
    Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com
    edited May 11, 2006
    Chris: I don't think I have seen anyone do RAW conversion with Picasa. But in any case, this is on the Picasa support website, and is pretty self-explainatory:

Picasa Customer Support

[SIZE=-0] Does Picasa support RAW format images? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Picasa currently supports RAW images from most of the cameras by the following manufacturers:

Canon (.CRW, .CR2)
    Nikon (.NEF)
    Olympus (.ORF)
    Pentax (.PEF)
    Kodak (.DCR)
    Sony (.SRF)
    Minolta (.MRW)
    Fuji (.RAF)

EXIF data from RAW images is only supported with CRW files that have associated .THM files.

At this time, we do not support RAW images from the following cameras:

Kodak P850 (.KDC)
    Adobe file format (.DNG)
    FUJI S5200-S5600 (.RAF)
    OLYMPUS E-300, E-500 (.ORF) [/SIZE]
  • juliejulesjuliejules Registered Users Posts: 163 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Chris,
    To clarify my usage of Picasa, I don't use it to process RAW files. I use ACR to create JPEGS in a folder that Picasa watches. I use Picasa after that for organizing and uploading to smugmug. Sorry if my comments were misleading. :uhoh

Cmason seems to have unearthed the gospel on the subject anyway.
    --juliejules
    http://www.juliejules.com
    Canon 70D, Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS, Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L, Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM, Canon Ext 1.4x II, SpeedLite 430EX
    edited May 11, 2006
    I have turned off exif on most of my galleries. It is there for most photos, I use it for my dgrin competition entries. I think that having to much info available to clients only confuses them so I turn it off.

I was incorrect in understanding your problem. I do not edit RAW in Picasa. I use PS CS2 or Elements for that.

I shoot a lot of events that I do not want to have to post process every single RAW. So I shoot a lot in JPG. I use Picasa for the minor proofing and corrections before loading to SM using StarExplorer. I have had no problems with JPGs loosing EXIF. I have had some minor problems with the GEO data and also the Rotation information. I am still trying to figure that part out.

As for RAW. Using PS I import the RAW, make corrections and then save a JPG. That does keep the EXIF intact.

I think Picasa is a bit misleading in that it does handle some RAW files. However, it is not a RAW processor/editor. I have tried to make corrections to my NEF files and they do not come out well at all.

If you want to continue using Picassa for editing, I would convert from RAW to JPG using another program that keeps the EXIF and then use Picasa.
    SmugMug Support Hero
    edited May 11, 2006
    cmason wrote:
    Chris: I don't think I have seen anyone do RAW conversion with Picasa. But in any case, this is on the Picasa support website, and is pretty self-explainatory:

Picasa Customer Support

[SIZE=-0] Does Picasa support RAW format images? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Picasa currently supports RAW images from most of the cameras by the following manufacturers:

Canon (.CRW, .CR2)
    Nikon (.NEF)
    Olympus (.ORF)
    Pentax (.PEF)
    Kodak (.DCR)
    Sony (.SRF)
    Minolta (.MRW)
    Fuji (.RAF)

EXIF data from RAW images is only supported with CRW files that have associated .THM files.

At this time, we do not support RAW images from the following cameras:

Kodak P850 (.KDC)
    Adobe file format (.DNG)
    FUJI S5200-S5600 (.RAF)
    OLYMPUS E-300, E-500 (.ORF) [/SIZE]
    Thank you, I guess I should have checked the picassa site first. I'll stop beating my self up trying to do this. I was just hoping to keep everything in one step, all in picasa.
    Chris "Dunker" Barclay

DunkerVision.smugmug.com