Options

Pileated Woodpecker: exciting

ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
edited May 11, 2006 in Wildlife
68618886-L.jpg

Only second time I have EVER seen a woodpecker. The first time was also this year, but it was the more common kind. And I totally underexposed that one. I did this a bit, too, but had the sense in mid shoot to raise the EV, so I could "save" those. Didn't try on the darker ones. (It was overcast, I was shooting up, hence the "white" sky). I also shot with high ISOs as it got later yesterday, after Sat, well, I just thought noise was better than blur. We went as early as we could, but I had a lot to do when I got there, like chasing the red tailed hawks, actually playing hide and seek with them behind branches and dense tree folliage.

This woodpecker flew past me, landed on a tree. I raised my lens a bit and this one flew on. She is a "she". Dark forehead (in the book). I actually said, "Please, god, please..." So, I used one of my favors, three wishes, or whatever............as she actually came back, posed a bit, then left again!

I was totally thrilled.

ginger (full frame, as shot! 400mm plus extender.)
After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    nice catch.
    they love to jump around a lot and are hard to get. I saw one a couple of days ago and couldn't get a good shot.

they have one funny call to. it almost sounds like they are laughing.
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    I don't take bird photographs (except the occasional pigeon or duck or goose wandering around the city rolleyes1.gif ) and I can only marvel at the wonderful shots you and other dgrin birders get. I know I don't have the skills to do what you do in taking these photos. Not just the shots themselves, but all of the time devoted to being in the right place at the right time. I am envious and full of uncritical admiration. Thanks so much for sharing.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Jeff and I saw one a few weeks and the few shots I got sucked on Ice :cry

Congrats on your find and image thumb.gif
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited May 9, 2006
    Khaos wrote:
    they have one funny call to. it almost sounds like they are laughing.
    I always say they sound like a pteradactyl! not that I have any idea what that sounds like...
    lol3.gif

they're in my neighborhood all the time, but never when I have the camera out, or they never stay still long enough for me to stop mowing the lawn and run in for the gear.
    :bluduh
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Osprey WhispererOsprey Whisperer Registered Users Posts: 3,803 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Nice shot Ginger. I've seen a couple of these guys in my "backyard" tree. I ..as others..didn't get much of a chance for a shot. I couldn't cross the canal to get him...and waited for a good long while for him to swing around to "my" side of the tree. It never happened. He did however send lots of the tree my way. rolleyes1.gif
    Mike McCarthy

"Osprey Whisperer"

OspreyWhisperer.com
  • Options
    raianraian Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited May 9, 2006
    Nice shot Ginger. I have one of those bugger living around my barn. They are big birds!! When I get my camera I'm hoping to get a shot of him. I still have to save a bit of $$$ for the camera, but I'm almost there ;)
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Good exposure Ginger. In that situation you can have the sky with the subject being vey dark or you can have the subject properly exposed and blow the sky. You made the right decision and got a good shot. thumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2006
    Thanks, Harry, Birdman, Ben, FlyingGina, and everyone else. I have read everyone's responses since last night or so. I thought I would respond individually. Since that has not happened, well..................thanks all!!!

It brought a smile to my face!!! Each time I read one!

I have been working up photos, been on the PC all day. But see I have not been on dgrin, been at Photoshop, smugmug, and sometimes at my other mail.

Thanks again,

will be posting again soon. worked up a bunch today, all from that same day, just day before yesterday, amazing! Am through, though, I think. And that is a good place to be.

Smile!!! OH, and I need to comment on other's photos, too. But first it is my husband's turn!
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    Dick on ArubaDick on Aruba Registered Users Posts: 3,484 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2006
    Nice one.

Here on Aruba there are no woodpeckers. They're beautiful. Actually, I never see a real woodpecker in my life.

Dick.
    "Nothing sharpens sight like envy."
    Thomas Fuller.

SmugMug account.
    Website.